Removal of front bumper?

A

Andybtsn

Being a newbie to the whole GTI-R, I am going to be cutting up my front bumper tomorrow, basically ready for the cooler when I get it. So where are all the bolts located to remove the front bumper? I don't have to remove the front wheel's do I?

Also what is the best way to spray/paint silver mesh? I want it black, would be painting it with hammerite do? Or will i need spray paint?

Same procedure for my wiper arms too, the previous paint has peeled off, needs repainting, will hammerite do?

Thanks

Andy

N

Ninja_tune_factory

It dus help if you remove the wheels so they dont get in ur way.

cheers Lionel.

P

Pulsar_James

there is 1 bolt either side of the bumper, under the inner arch lining and then there is some clip type things in the middle of the bumper,

as for the mesh mate i would personally spray it, but if u want black u can buy black from demon tweeks (part no ME2)

james

A

Andybtsn

Thats great cheers...

Also after further inspection of the bumper, what do I do with the metal bar bit behind the bumper? Would that have to be removed? Is it bolted on or what?

Gray

yeah i angle grinded mine
i painted my mesh with hammerite but it always chips off
so i have to keep painting over the chipped bits each weekend lol

J

jpward

Gray said:
yeah i angle grinded mine
i painted my mesh with hammerite but it always chips off
so i have to keep painting over the chipped bits each weekend lol

Do you know if you can "blue" the mesh as in heat it with blow lamp and burn clean oil onto it? burns on surface a blue colour?

A

Andybtsn

Removed front bumper, now I'm afraid I wont get it back on again, the middle bit has been cut out. All the bolts i removed were rusty as anything, should I replac them?

Where from? When putting the bumper back on, how shouldi go about it, is there clips on the front, or is it just bolts that hold it on?

Andy

Fire & skill

Vintage member
you only really need the bolts that go into the wings, the bumper clips back onto the top lip. if you are fitting a front mount you will poss have to do away with the brake duct vent thingys

F

FOSSIE

Can I just stick my nose in on this one.... Although I'm not fitting a front mounted intercooler, I do have the bumper off in order to repair it (or maybe fit a new one). Can someone say for certain what that steel cross-member which sits behind it is for? Is it a safety item or stiffener? or crumple zone? Mine is slightly damaged, so I need to either replace it or fix it. Where's the best place to get a replacement (if in fact it has to be replaced...)

Are they unique to a GTIR or common to other UK Sunny's?

Sorry for all the questions. You can have the thread back now!

cheers
Tom