Relocating MAF

nex

red reading said:
nex the mass air flow sensor does just as it says,it does not sense pressure,it senses flow,where you put it on the induction side shouldnt make any differance as the amount of air going thru it will be the same under pressure or not,and samgtr have you just changed the turbo from say a t28 to a 3071 if you have then yes it will need mapping
surely under heavy boost a few problems might crop up....ie...if the bov isnt tuned correctly, its not going to be a fan of air/shockwave whizzing past it the wrong way on gear change lol, or even air flow stalling yet the pressure in the pipes still being substantially higher than atmospheric. open the throttle that air will enter the cylinders but would the maf essentially pick up how much enters causing it to run lean for a second.....,

also if the pipes aren't downsized, and its just put into a bigger pipe as suggested in the first post, air flow speed will be reduced and the maf will give an incorrect reading i'd have thought?

just my thoughts, prob wrong though lol :)

Keira

if everything else is aok (my guess is it isn't) the only thing that could effect the maf is its position in relation to any bends/elbows, other than that, going blow through will have no negative effect

red reading

1st yhing i would try is blocking the bov(dump valve) as if that is leaking that will cause probs,you need to get the car to idle before you do anything,i would also block the pcv valve pipe that goes to the throttle bodies,then i would check the electrical side of thing's.once it's running drive it to a decent engine tuner give him the z32 maf and have it set up properly

samgtr

i wired in the z32 today, one thing i noticed is the bov open on idle????? im sure this is causing it to cut out? why would the bov to open idle? its a forge bov, never had a prob before with it, was working fine with standard turbo??
thanks for all the help so far

sam

Fusion Ed

Probably a dual piston type? If not then yes it may be causing an issue if its not then you should be fine, your just seeing one side of it open.

Fusion Ed

Is it before or after the maf now? Presumably its before still, if your taking the OEM location on the inlet manifold?

samgtr

red reading said:
i have said this already sam

yeah i know, thanks for the help, il try on wednesday, if i have no luck i will just take it to garage as i only have two days of in a week and its been 2 months off the road now.:cry::sad:
im sure it will be worth the wait lol:-D
sam

samgtr

ok today i removed the bov and blocked the pipe but it dies straight away now....

but when the bov pipe is removed it idles ok, bit weird that?, i have a external waste gate and avcr so gonna check if the pipes for that are on correct next,

i know many people will say just take it to a garage but i am not in a hurry to be on the road so would rather get to the bottom of this my self, as iv fitted evreything else myself

thanks for the help so far.

samgtr

i have just checked the book for the avcr, and i had the pipes on completely wrongfor the external w/g so im wishing that this is the problem, will check on sunday now:-(