Relocating MAF

samgtr

hello, i just wondered if you people could help me with some advice :-D, i am in the process of fitting a gt3071r, nearly finished but it has a 4" inlet and ive got a 4" pipe to go to air filter but was wondering were the maf would go??

i was thinking maybe a silicone reducer pipe to join it OR would it be ok to fit it in the pipe before the intake manifold (pipe coming from intercooler)..

would appreciate your opinion

thanks
sam

Trip

samgtr said:
OR would it be ok to fit it in the pipe before the intake manifold (pipe coming from intercooler)..
I saw a picture with this similar setup. I am not sure if the ECU was or should be tuned to take such setup

Keira

you can run blow through with no hassle, put it in the middle of the cold side intercooler pipe

samgtr

iv just relocated it but when i start the car it doesnt idle it cuts out, also missfires jerks about when driving, any ideas, iv just finished fitting a gt3071r with 4" inlet so had to relocate the maf (standard unit), iv got a z32 but havent got around to fit it yet.

do you guys think it just needs a re map cause of the blowthrough set up or is it cause its standard maf.

any ideas????

samgtr

yeah thats still connected, when i un plug the maf it idles ok, but as soon as i connect it it bogs down to a stop, il have a good check with the vacum pipes on sunday and try replacing it back to stock position, as i cant figure whats causing it.

sam

red reading

try just having the maf connected but not the turbo boost pipe so its a n/a engine in effect,the car should tick over normally

youngsyp

Did you put the MAF in the pipe between the plenum and intercooler as you said ?

If you did, it's not going to work properly without a remap. Just think how the conditions it's working under have changed. It's gone from working in a vacuum state, to working with forced air being pushed through it. Logically, your fuel map will need re-scaling.

Paul

nex

I wouldnt have thought it'd work at all to be honest, isnt this when a pressure sensor is used instead of an air flow sensor.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I like Red reading's suggestion. You can then work out which tree you should bark up next.

What injectors/management are you using. The standard ECU is pretty forgiving. If you stick in bigger injectors, the standard ECU wil turn your plugs black, it will sound awful but it can still idle.

Last edited:

red reading

nex the mass air flow sensor does just as it says,it does not sense pressure,it senses flow,where you put it on the induction side shouldnt make any differance as the amount of air going thru it will be the same under pressure or not,and samgtr have you just changed the turbo from say a t28 to a 3071 if you have then yes it will need mapping

P

pulsarboby

3071 or no 3071! the car should still idle the same as before, as it will not be under any boost, therefore no increased airflow at idle.
under load you will notice hesitation as it will run too lean if not setup correctly.

as for the afm, imo i cant see what difference it makes whether its connected in the cold pipe from cooler, providing its fitted the correct way round! it just senses the volume of air passing through it, so shouldnt make any difference at all.

have you extended the wiring to it? have you used crimps or solder if so?
are you sure that the cooler pipe is not leaking pressure where the afm is connected in line?
both the above will cause the car to cut out at idle speed

samgtr

thanks for your suggestions the turbo i have fitted it gt3071r with 4inch intake, i havent changed the wiring at all on the afm, just put it in between intercooler and plenum.i havent fitted the bigger injectors yet... was hoping to sort this issue first.

as far as i can see there are no leaks on the pipe, i guess il have a good look on my day off (sunday)

any more suggestions welcome