Refitting camshaft brackets.

uk-gtir-matt

Hi everyone,

I picked the Sunny up but the guy before me has already started stripping the head. Unfortunatley he placed all the brackets in a small box and not in order that he removed them in:doh:

All i can make out on the top is small dots that look like domino numbers if that makes sense lol:oops:

Is there a set way that these go in at all and if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be brilliant!

Cheers

Matt:)

nex

I'd be interested in anyone know what the dots mean, i have two heads and both have different sets of marking - i dont think they relate to the order, perhaps clearance?

nitrosgti-r

Don't think the order matters as long as the arrows point towards the chain? Be carefull when torquing the bolts up tho as they snap easy ;)

not 100% on the first bit mind

uk-gtir-matt

Don't think the order matters as long as the arrows point towards the chain? Be carefull when torquing the bolts up tho as they snap easy ;)

not 100% on the first bit mind
Cool thanks for that, at least its a palce to start from :)

Ill carry on doing some digging around:thumbsup:

stumo

If the caps have been messed with the best thing to do is remove the cam followers, lube the cam and bearing surfaces, fit the cam and then torque the caps down one at a time and make sure the cam rotates.

If it doesn't rotate then swap the cap for another one and torque that down and see if it then rotates.....continue till the cam still rotates with all the caps in place and torqued down.

It's a ballache of a job but it's the only way to do it.

P

pulsarboby

lol im having just this problem at the moment!
its a real mare if the camcaps have been messed up or more importantly are not the right caps for that particular head.....the latter is the prob i have:sad:
you cannot fit shim/spacers between cap and head either as you are merely elongating the hole which will be useless.

let this be a warning if you like to anyone who purchases a head without the caps.
the only way i can see to do it is to try run in an old set of cams by manually turning them over so as they turn freely then fitting the proper cams back in place, dont know whether that will work but thats what im going to try
if no success then the head is as good as scrap tbh

stumo

Bob, get some caps and take the head to a good machine shop and have the cam bearings line bored.

P

pulsarboby

yes thats the other alternative stuey
any idea what the cost of that is?
ive also got a prob with the valves as they have been tricut in the past and the valve leads have been countersunk in the head:roll:
so now the valves cannot be shimmed as the smallest size shim is too big which could mean a job for mr dremmel :lol:

if what i planned doesnt work then i may just use a different head and start from scratch again

stumo

You could have new seats fitted but if it's a standard head (and not an expensive ported head) then i wouldn't bother, just use another.

No idea on cost TBH

Sunken valves aren't good !!!

P

pulsarboby

no your right there stu.
its a ported head but theres a lot of errors with it (including sunken valves) so i may just end up ditching it in favour of something thats not gonna go boooom! at the first hurdle:lol:

il see how it goes this week

P

pulsarboby

other option would be grind valves stems down to give more clearance
yes thats what im planning on doing but its not quite as easy as that as the head now has countersunk titanium retainers fitted and valve stems are sunk within retainers so it would have to be a carefull process with a dremmel to get clearances on them.

jjs

dont you know some one with a lathe bob , pop them in the chuck, and attach an angle grinder to the tool post to grind them down, perfect finish, used this method a few times to machine some shafts etc, jim,