Recommended coilovers??

CruiseGTi-R

When you get your G-force set, and before putting them on the car, wind off the spring platform all the way until its only just about pre-loading the spring (i.e. only really to stop the spring being loose at no load).

On mine it revolutionised the ride.

It stops it being so hard that you hit your head on the roof when driving over a cat's eye :D

Also on the G-force (I believe same as D2), go easy on the rear arb clamp bolts, they can easily bind in the soft alu. You might also find like I did that you need to shorten the rear arb drop link that comes with the kit, as its a bit too long.

I thought Driftworks had softer springs for the D2 but could be wrong.

Dooie Pop Pop

CruiseGTi-R said:
I should also add that I use 15inch wheels and run modest tyre pressures too when out for a day of 'I need an oil cooler' driving.
8) i love my snappy little 15' s :D iv got a 50 profile tyre now and tbh i feel more confident with that than my old 16x45 setup.

surely someone must make a spring that would fit the D2' s :?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its late and I need to go but I can't resist a good handling thread.

Leda's are generally the best quality though I can't comment on the R as I've not seen them. They were +£1500 when I last looked by the time you've bought all the bits.

Teins are good. Don't turn the dampers up too much though as they will be too stiff and you will blow the seals. Good sensible spring rates though. Its what I run and overall they are good.

The other cheaper makes in general you seemed to be getting a lot for your money and design wise they are better than the teins wth adjustable platforms and ride height. The big advantage of these is you can fit anyones spring with in reason as they are not designed for a specific length. When you add in the cost of 4 springs circa £200, the price is not much different to the teins. Eibach do a range from 1.8" to 5.5" OD so there's something for everyone.

I've said in my incomplete :oops: :oops: sticky that a good all round system is a 25mm lowering spring with some koni inserts (or GAB) as for 80% of people it will do 80% of what they want. For adjustable top mounts Rob, I'd go with these:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=146/CA=93

Not yet proven on an R but well used on Sentra's and 200sx. The only disadvantage is they lower the car 1/2" as they sit on top rather than underneath the shell.

Anyone who's paid atention to my previous handling rambling will note that an extra 1/2" drop at the front makes the nose more alert and reduces the understeer. On 25mm springs the front nose would still be less than 40mm drop so still a reasonable all rounder.

I'd package them up and sell them on as a kit considering the usual rubbish that gets pushed around as solving all your handling problems blah blah but there is a flaw in my plan that cruise has spotted. 4 x konis dampers, 4 x springs, 2 x top mounts and you'll be up to £700. May as well buy some cheap coilovers and some new springs :wink:

Jim

D

deslynam

SickBoy said:
This is very disheartening as my next project was gonna be coilovers but teins are way out of my budget.......

If all the coilovers are no good wot about going with Koni inserts ??

Lee

Cheers Kieron
What is your budget? I may be able to get them cheaper for people than the £775 I paid to Tweeks.

What "campbellju" said about setting tein damping levels is correct, there are actually 24levels of setting but they tell you to only use 1-16. :roll:

Oh and don't get a full poly-bush kit from OZ like i did - good job i've not got any fillings to shake loose, is all I can say! :shock: :(
But if you're out there having some fun and the roads aren't toooo bad you really can tell you've got something half-decent. 8)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
GTiR_Mic said:
I have Leda coilovers on my R and i think they are good quality. Im not to sure on how much they come in at though.

Mic
You're not wrong and you probably don't want to know :wink: