Recommended coilovers??

deank93

I'm on the hunt for some coilovers and would be keen to hear anyones opinions on whats worth a purchase and what sort of prices i'm looking at.

I'll be using my car on the road but intend to do a few track and drag days during the year....i know that SRB were doing sets for around the £500 mark, are they any good?

Any advice appriciated.

DEAN.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
PULSAR GTI-R RNN14 90-94 SuperStreet SA QSN00-AVSS2 - £669.75

PULSAR GTI-R RNN14 90-94 SuperStreet(M) SA QSN00-BVSS4 - £893.00

EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) - £258

I use the TEIN HA's but you can't get them anymore....

Rishi

C

Crazy

Tein HA's & Tein H1's are the Dogs Dangleys but no longer available, I had a set on my car when I first bought it but the started leaking and were beyond repair by the time I got them sent off to Tein UK :(

I now have D2 Coilovers from Impulse Performance which are not as good as the Tein HA's/H1's but are fine for what they are intended for but I have had to return the front shocks due to them knocking more than once :roll:

Question for Rishi: Whats the difference between the 2 sets of Tein Super Streets you listed above??? :?:

GTiR_Mic

I have Leda coilovers on my R and i think they are good quality. Im not to sure on how much they come in at though.

Mic

P

papdog

deank93 said:
I'm on the hunt for some coilovers and would be keen to hear anyones opinions on whats worth a purchase and what sort of prices i'm looking at.

I'll be using my car on the road but intend to do a few track and drag days during the year....i know that SRB were doing sets for around the £500 mark, are they any good?

Any advice appriciated.

DEAN.
I'll let you know when I receive my set from SRB. Still waiting from 3 months ago :shock: :?

Graham

D

deslynam

The Tein Superstreet can come either with or without pillowball top mounts - that's what the (M) stands for.

That price quoted is good, it's not far off what I paid from Tweeks but I get a discount.

The ride is firm, as expected, perhaps a little crashy on poor road surfaces. But my word it does work well! :twisted:
I've just had a full poly bush set put on and it's getting near the limit of acceptable now (IMO).

The electronic damping controller is, dare I say it, a bit of a toy. :p

If you only want something a bit sportier (and if your partner will complain about it being too bumpy), just get one of the adjustable shock inserts instead. ;)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Crazy said:
Question for Rishi: Whats the difference between the 2 sets of Tein Super Streets you listed above??? :?:
With or without Pillowball Top Mounts.... :wink:

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R

I currently have the D2 coilovers from impulse.

Pillowball, adjustable camber plates included all for £550.

You get what you pay for though, the alu used on these is too soft and I've already stripped one of the clamp bolts :oops: :x .

They are very hard though. You need to wind the spring pre-load all the way off to get any sort of ride quality back and to surpress any rediculously harsh re-bound off yumps.

Ride with your window closed and seat belt on, I've been known to be thrown clear off my seat :D .

imo there are no off the shelf coilovers available which suit the R for proper handling, they are all just too hard for public roads.

I'd like to go back to normal aftermarket adj dampers, but the ride height is very hard to get right if you want to use pillowball/camber adj plates, always way too high.

SickBoy

This is very disheartening as my next project was gonna be coilovers but teins are way out of my budget.......

If all the coilovers are no good wot about going with Koni inserts ??

Lee

Cheers Kieron

O

Odin

SickBoy said:
This is very disheartening as my next project was gonna be coilovers but teins are way out of my budget.......

If all the coilovers are no good wot about going with Koni inserts ??

Lee

Cheers Kieron
I think with softer springs fitted the D2/K-sport coil overs would be OK, But at the moment there almost useless due to there hardness :roll: , I've been chucked over to the other lane if I hit a bump mid corner :shock: , Which I think your agree could be pretty dangerous :cry: :cry: .

I'm still waiting for the softer springs to come available :roll: .

rob

Dooie Pop Pop

that was a waste of £500 then :( poor quality shocks you cant use off the shelf :? ......Hillbilly you might as well ask for your money back mate :(

personally id rather stick with the standard shocks and use nismo 25mm lowering springs, at least you get a little comfort.

O

Odin

Dooie Pop Pop said:
that was a waste of £500 then :( poor quality shocks you cant use off the shelf :? ......Hillbilly you might as well ask for your money back mate :(

personally id rather stick with the standard shocks and use nismo 25mm lowering springs, at least you get a little comfort.
I think I'd have to agree with you mate :roll: :cry: , If I can't get a lot softer springs I'm going to think about changing back to Gabs, The only problem is getting them to work with top mounts :? , With out looking like the cars on stilts :shock: :cry: .

rob

CruiseGTi-R

It all really comes down to the cars purpose.

I drove 2300 miles at christmas round france. On their bigger roads the coilovers work very nicely as generally they have better surfaces than ours. On a day of repeated 30min mountain pass runs when you're fully commited, utterly on the edge of everything the car is capable of, the coilovers are f-cking awesome, I have to admit it.

But driving at 50% back in the UK and on B roads the coilovers are just too bloody stiff damping wise. You hit any sort of bumps in fast sucession and you do get thrown about in the car, it can get rediculous. The car would prob also grip better if you could dial in more softness. It needs to be around 20% softer I'd say.

If I were starting again I'd approach Leda or some other rally based coilover company to ask about getting softer damping on one of their coilovers, its perfectly dooable, I don't know why they have to bo so hard ffs :x .

I'd still go coilover route cos having adj ride height and camber adj is all good, and for the 1% of the time when you're on a track or trying to kill yourself on a mountain pass they're brilliant. Rest of the time just drive at 5mph.

CruiseGTi-R

I should also add that I use 15inch wheels and run modest tyre pressures too when out for a day of 'I need an oil cooler' driving.

I probably won't be changing to 16's unless I thought about finding a softer coilover solution.

Hill_Billy

vpulsar said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:

I think I'd have to agree with you mate :roll: :cry: , If I can't get a lot softer springs I'm going to think about changing back to Gabs, The only problem is getting them to work with top mounts :? , With out looking like the cars on stilts :shock: :cry: .

rob
time for a refund then me thinks....

deank93

:oops: I've just ordered a set of SRBs G-Force coilovers, thyey are expecting them in within the next week or so....maybe i should have a re-think.....stil, i got a bit of a bargin at £495 inc vat :wink:

O

Odin

deank93 said:
:oops: I've just ordered a set of SRBs G-Force coil overs, they are expecting them in within the next week or so....maybe i should have a re-think.....still, i got a bit of a bargain at £495 inc vat :wink:

The only problem with them mate is the spring rates are far to hard :cry: , If you can get hold of a softer set of springs I'm sure they'd be perfect :wink: .

rob

Ps I corrected all your spelling mistakes lol :wink: