Rear LSD upgrade for less than 30 pounds

turugtir

Do you think you can have the benefits of a very expensive cusco 2-way lsd for a tiny fraction of the cost? Well, you can.

I like to research about every car I have, to value all the options I have when I want to do something, and I know nissans pretty well, as I've benn working on them for several years, and what I found is that most things are pretty much the same between them.

This is a link in Zilvia.net where somebody explains that putting some shims in the rear differential act like a mechanical LSD more or less.

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/200226-shimming-r200-j30-vlsd.html

Lots of people have tried it in their cars in Zilvia.net, and in Spain too, and it does work wonders.

You can see other topics about this just searching on google, if you have any doubts about if this really works or not.

Now, the thing is that our diff is an R180 and not a R200 like the S14 has, but I investigated further and found this:

This is the R200V diff scheme:

And this is our R180V diff (I don't know if GTIR's were made also without LSD, if they were, this is not useful for you, sorry):

They are pretty much the same, so if that shim works on the R200V, it has to work on ours.

These are the sizes of shims that have to be used and the part #'s aswell:

I haven't done it (yet) because my car has a broken engine and gearbox, so I have to fix that first, but I will do it and I will show it to you if people is interested in this.

Any questions, just ask me.

Cheers

dotalot

Sounds good if it works, I know some people who have just used very heavy oil in the diff and had similar effect since its a viscous diff.

red reading

A viscous lsd has a sealed viscous unit that is filled with a silicon base fluid, what gear oil you put has nothing to do with The locking effect of the unit, all you are doing by putting this extra shim in is preloading the diff gears which is not the best of idea's as you will break them in the end! i cba to go through the thing about all the differant style diff's and how they work But i did used to build them and race gearboxes for a living.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So it does work in that you pre-load the gearing... but ultimately you'll knacker them sooner. Like if you run different size wheels at the front and back; the viscous coupling will cope for a while, but once you've cooked that silicone fluid it's knackered?

Good mod if you've got difs to spare?

turugtir

With Bob suplying parts is not that bad really, but it does shorten the life of the diff.

You can approach this in 2 different ways:

-You can give more lock to the rear lsd by putting a thacker shim than the original specifications say.
-Or your LSD is tired and you just put the shim that brings back the LSD within tolerances.

I bet most of the diffs are knackered because of wear, and reshim them would give them again the grip that they had when they were new, unless the silicon oil inside the viscous unit is done.

You have nothing to loose if you reshim it to OE spec, or even a tiny bit more to account for wear, as I bet the improvement would be noticeable.

SIR GTIR

Interesting tread I'll be watching this
as i have a few friends with s14 K's silvias with R180 diffs and such and the differance was Huge