rear brake pad change

A

andrewnorton

i used a g clamp on the rear piston ................... its solid it didnt move and it bent the g clamp :shock: what can i do now :?: do they have to be turned

moved to servicing...zia

geetee

You're lucky you didn't crack the caliper - unless it was a plastic G Clamp.

I believe you can get a tool which turns and pushes the piston back at the same time.... try Halfords?

Although I know some ppl have used a big screwdriver to turn it - and others who find it just turns itself as they wind it in.

I've never had to do my rear pads - as I have rock hard brake pads on that don't wear at all.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

B

briitts

Ha ha! only a complete plumb would do something like that....like me!
:lol:

Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, couldnt work it out! You can use mole grips to turn the cylinder, just make sure you splash plenty of WD40 first so you do not rip the dust cover.

A

andrewnorton

lol i lost the bloody bolt that holds the caliper on aswell :oops: lol

geetee

And use mole grips with care... any marks on the cylinder could degrade the seal.

Lol.. at the bolt.

Don't worry.. I snapped one putting a rear caliper back on my Celica.

It was Sunday afternoon andI needed the car the next day - so I had to drill the bolt out with a drill with a wobbly chuck, that left a sloppy hole in the caliper carrier. So I filled it with Chemical metal then tapped it out to the right size.

Needless to say itt's weeks and a few thousand miles later and I've still not gone back to helicoil it. Still waiting for the thunk of the caliper hitting the floorpan as I emergency brake on the M1. :shock: