really annoying ticking/clicking noise???

A

adam.shepheard

hi all,

i have just bought a pulsar and the engine makes a ticking/clicking noise which is really annoying. when cold the noise is only just audiable but gets worse the warmer it gets.
i have been told that its the mechanical (rather than hydraulic) lifters/tappets but it sounds as though it is only coming from a single place (rather than all worn tappets)

any ideas? im well chuffed with the car, but i really want to get this sorted!!

any replies would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Adam

J

justin666

The GTIR has a NOISEY engine to say the least buddy so alot of the overall rattleness is kinda normal.. mainly down to the timing chain :-D

Whats the spec of the car???

The ticking could be a variety of things. Injectors, Boost controller solinoid, Worn Shims, cams, Timing chain tensioner... etc.

You need to pin point the noise and then hopefully we can point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

Welcome to the wonderfull (and expensive) world of GTIR Ownership :thumbsup:

Cheers

J.

turbodaily

hey mate,ive just bought my second r and have the same prob,not so bad when you first start it but gets louder as it warms up and the oil thins out. i believe its the camshaft shims,but like you, i can hear it coming from a single place.mainly when i start it up from warm,once its been running for a bit it just sounds like all the tappets.

turbodaily

oil pressure is mint on mine,sits at 6 when cold and around 4 when warmed up. ive heard shimming the cams is expensive and a dog of a job,so i might just get a second hand head complete with cams etc and replace the whole thing.

J

justin666

Silly Q time :-D

When were these cars last serviced and what oil when in them????

Cheers

J.

paz

Mine sounds nice on tickover, no ticking at all really, just sounds like an engine. My 1.4 saxo engine was noisier, that sounded like it was rattling itself apart :lol:

Paz

A

adam.shepheard

standard internals, 1bar boost, filter, exhaust,bov,hks fuel adjuster, u/r ful pump. its definately not the injectors or solenoid. it comes from the top of the engine and the speed is directly related to how fast the engine is turning over. as it seems to be comin from only one place i would have thought it to be the timing chain tensioner??
it is goin to owen developments in a couple of weeks for a r/r session and tune so hopefully they can tell me what it is!
is it a hard job to do? also if it were the tappets is that a head off job or can you do it with the head in situ??

thanks guys

turbodaily

if its the shims its just a case of removing the cams,but you have to measure the tolerances on all the shims,and replace the ones that are worn,but i think theyre £25 each from nissan...

J

justin666

adam.shepheard said:
is it a hard job to do? also if it were the tappets is that a head off job or can you do it with the head in situ??

thanks guys
The GTIR SR20DET doesnt use tappets, its solid lifters and shims ;-) AND by all accounts it can be a complete tart of a job as you will have to track down shims of the exact size to rebuild. Never done it myself tho so I cant really comment but thats just from reading what been written on this forum over the years. Im sure someone with more experience in this canb shed some light on it :thumbsup:

What oil you using and what your oil pressure like????

J.

A

adam.shepheard

ile have to get back to you on the oil pressure.

im fairly new to this engine (cb-80-anyone??) i assume its a 16v?

thats means £400 for a set of shims..................bugger! starting to think its more a timing chain problem - at least im hoping!!!

turbodaily

get a long screwdriver,put the handle to your ear and put the other end on the timing chain side of the rocker cover whilst running,should make it clearer to hear where the noise is coming from.

J

justin666

adam.shepheard said:
ile have to get back to you on the oil pressure.

im fairly new to this engine (cb-80-anyone??) i assume its a 16v?
CB80???? Isnt that a Daihatsu Charade GTti engine!!!!????????

eeerrrrrrmmmmmmm, Do you have Pulsar GTIR cause I would be slightly worried if its got a CB-80 lump in it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.

Last edited by a moderator:

OZ-Racing

justin666 said:

eeerrrrrrmmmmmmm, Do you have Pulsar GTIR cause I would be slightly worried if its got a CB-80 lump in it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.
Wrong forum me thinks :doh: :rofl: :pound:

Ricky_GTi-R

justin666 said:

J.
Yup the guy just said some scary stuff in that last post:shock: :doh:

As J already said on the 1st page mate, SR20DET!:doh: :roll:

Ricky

J

justin666

adam.shepheard said:
hi all,

i have just bought a pulsar
Is it a charade with a pulsar badge on the back or summat???? :doh: :doh: Surely you must know what car you own dude :lol: :lol:

J.

Ricky_GTi-R

justin666 said:
Is it a charade with a pulsar badge on the back or summat???? :doh: :doh: Surely you must know what car you own dude :lol: :lol:

J.
Or atleast know the engine isnt a 1litre Turbo unit:shock: :shock: :lol:

Ricky

A

adam.shepheard

no you misunderstand me i meant i was used to the cb-80 engine, as in ive had one until now. I NOW HAVE A NISSAN PULSAR GTIR!!

GLAD WE CLEARED THAT ONE UP!!

thanks guys

J

justin666

Ricky_GTi-R said:
Or atleast know the engine isnt a 1litre Turbo unit:shock: :shock: :lol:

Ricky
isnt it..??? I best let my insurance company know then :oops: :oops: :oops: :doh: :lol: :lol:

J.

J

justin666

adam.shepheard said:
no you misunderstand me i meant i was used to the cb-80 engine, as in ive had one until now. I NOW HAVE A NISSAN PULSAR GTIR!!

GLAD WE CLEARED THAT ONE UP!!

thanks guys
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahaaaa, Probably is a good job you have clarified that as you could well have been the butt of many a joke for years to come!!! :lol: :lol:

back on topic then :thumbsup:

J.