Re-use a Tomei head gasket:possible or not?

Jobi Joba

I removed the head of my 'R after having only covered 12km...
Now I've changed my rods (see y in another topic),I gotta fit the head back.

My Tomei head gasket still looks fine and I wonder if I can re-use it or if I should fit a new one...

(I know a std head gasket can't be used twice,but as the Tomei is a reinforced metallic one,I really wonder if it's possible or not...)

A

Anonymous

I've heard about people re-using metal head gaskets on the CA18DET that's in my car - can't imagine that the SR20DET would be any different :)

S

Sirnixalot

Ginga has reused his loads....if his is still sealing yours will 8)

MarkTurbo

I've always wondered that about my HKS headgasket :?

I knew that cossie WRC headgaskets were reuseable and they're multi layer steel. So i didnt see any reason why an HKS one wouldnt be :D

At least i know now 8)

GINGA

You'd be best off replacing the gasket as the sealant on it comes off when its compressed, although the actual cylinder sealing should be fine it will never be as good as it would be with a new gasket and its ability to keep the coolant from the oil would also be in question :wink:
I also only reused the hks gasket as the engine was bodged back together for the rolling road day so didn't actually matter if it didn't last or not

Jobi Joba

too late!!! lol Tomei HG back in place! :roll:

Anyway,I ordered a new one...just in case.At the mo' the only thing which is important for me is to know if the strange noise I had will still be there after having put back my std rods...If I blow my HG,I don't really care,I'll "just" (lol) fit the new one.

MarkTurbo

Jobi Joba said:
too late!!! lol Tomei HG back in place! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, at least we'll be able to see what happens when you do re-use the headgasket :eek:

Keep us posted Jobi.

Websnowbo

I would never re-use a head gasket........what if it leaks water in, fcuk's a couple a pistons? Fcuk's the head? Block?

Not worth it.

A

Anonymous

MarkTurbo said:
Oh well, at least we'll be able to see what happens when you do re-use the headgasket :eek:
My money's on it being absolutely fine :)

But I'm not responsible for it exploding tomorrow now that I've said that! :oops:

Jobi Joba

Websnowbo said:
I would never re-use a head gasket........what if it leaks water in, fcuk's a couple a pistons? Fcuk's the head? Block?

Not worth it.
If there is a leak,it gonna be a small one...and I'll see white smoke coming from the exhaust...so I'll turn the engine off.

Ginga:did it last long on ur car or did u notice any leaks?

Please,answer ASAP as now I doubt about it... :?

Jobi Joba

if I give my ol' HG a try,I'm thinking about not refitting the bolt which holds the back of the metallic water pipe to the block...in order to be able to remove the head way faster if I have to...

As the metallic water pipe is still attached to the head thx the two long bolts which go through the thermostat housing,do u think the metallic water pipe can rattle if the lil' bolt at the back is not there?Cause this f*cking bolt is a bitch to remove!! :evil:

GINGA

Jobi Joba said:
Websnowbo said:

Not worth it.
If there is a leak,it gonna be a small one...and I'll see white smoke coming from the exhaust...so I'll turn the engine off.

Ginga:did it last long on ur car or did u notice any leaks?

Please,answer ASAP as now I doubt about it... :?
The head gasket I reused was still fine when I removed it and it had been on for 8 months before reuse and out lasted the pistons lol
Chances are it will be ok but just keep a eye on the oil and water to make sure there isn't any leakage into one or the other :wink:

Mr GTiR

i hope it's fine as i'm reusing mine as well for my second rebuild :cry:

but then again i've only driven the dam thing 5 miles!!

Mr GTiR

does that mean i still hold the record for driving a car with a newly built engine the shortest distance before a second rebuild? LOL :oops:

G

GAZ P

Rebuilt my engine and the block cracked after 800 miles, not my fault thank god.Bad machining by the engineering company that fitted my new pistons and did my rebore.Got them to pay up for the second rebuild inc £200 for a new 2mm HKS head gasket & new engine block.