Rattling noise from engine still :@

stee

Right, ive replaced my big end shells and couldnt really see any damage to them at all, crankshaft is in perfect condition.
As a couple of people have said on here that my rattling noise was the big end although i did state that its definatly not a knocking noise, they suggested otherwise, statibg it will be the bottom end, but the fault still exists.
The noise im getting sounds identicle to pinking (pre ignition), i get the noise more warm than cold, when i blip the throttle from tick over and gets loud when on full boost and darent push it too hard, any ideas what this noise could be?
What could cause it to be pinking if this is the fault, shud i try filling up with 95 octane fuel or carry on running it on super unleaded?
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thanx ste

P

pulsarboby

your inbox is full but heres reply anyways

right first off did the noise go away on 1st startup after you replaced the big end bearings?
was there any sign of bearing damage when you removed old bearings (bits of metal in the oil etc)?

if the bearings were badly worn, mis-shaped or spun then you were crazy just hoping new bearings would remedy the problem as its impossible to see and check crank whilst all maincaps cradle etc are fitted, the crank needs checking for ovality, hairline cracks across oilways as well as sizing with plastigauge. by fitting new shells it will only solve the prob for a very short time then low and behold the dreaded knock will re-appear.

thats assuming the knock was bottom end and not something entirely different but i would need to hear it running to try identify that, try putting a video up of the knock then that way i will have some sort of indication as to what it could be

stee

The shells wernt bad at all and had not spun either, ive replaced them simply because i had them out to check, its a rattlibg noise im getting ad if its pinking (pre ignition), not a knocking noise, im a mechanic myself nd i would place all my money It not being the bottom end at fault, the noise is exactly the same as before, no filings found in the oil or any other tell tail signs of something going wrong.
I can only hear the noise with the window open and driving it, i dont think you wud hear it on a video because of how loud the exhaust and wind noise with the window being open etc...
I can get it to make the noise by blipping the throttle from tick over but it is only a very breif noise, it comes and goes almost instantly, but it worrying me whilst on boost, i kbow i keep saying this but it sounds like its pinking

Ive only checked the bottom end because s couple of people on here said that its highly likely that it is at fault and spparently dont sound like any other car when the big end goes, but ive searched on youtube for sr20det big end knock and the noise is nothing like it at all.

Any other suggestions at what could be at fault?

The only other thing i can think of at the top of my head is the power steering pump was leakibg and lost all fluid whilst sat on my drive, i was thinking to remove the aux belt and see if the noise goes, but if it was tge pump at fault i would of expected it to makes the noise just by revving it, im only getting the noise noticably when load is on the engine.

Right thats my essay wrote lol

stee

Just to add a bit more, the fault first occured when i was running t bak from work whilst the turbo was tramendously burning oil blockin everything in my rear view mirror, could the burning of oil hav caused any damage somewhere?

red reading

oil in the comustion chambers will cause det/pinking as you will get a buildup of carbon, have you also checked the valve clearences and cam lobes for wear, blocked cam spray bars and also the cam chain tensioner?

pulsar_stu

What's the condition of the plugs? Could the noise be from a faulty plug not firing properly? Just throwing ideas here :lol:
Could the timing chain be stretched and hitting the guide in the shaft or the metal piece at the top of the chain in the head?
Could the noise be from a water or oil pump on its way out?

wrc

Time to get a stethoscope out (or a long screw driver) and place it against your ear and start pressing it against different parts of the engine - at least then you will have a better idea. Get some one in the car replicating the noise with revs etc and start poking that screw driver around ;)

stee

I was thinking bout the build up of carbon being the cause of my fault, how can i get rid of this without taking the head off? And when i changed the turbo i removed tge spark plugs and cleaned them as they wer soaked wuth oil, im goung to take the rocker cover off at the weekend i think and see if i can see anything suspicious, ie. Chain, cam etc..

Dont start worrying me with water nd oil pumps lol

pulsar_stu

That could be your problem couldn't it? If its still smoking and its because you have oil in your ic and pipes, its drawing the oil into the cumbustion chamber. ?

P

pulsarboby

ok so you got a smoky turbo
1. could be the impellor wheel hitting the outer casing if theres excess lateral movement, so check that.
2. as said maybe dodgy p/s pump if its leaking
3. as said pre ignition excess carbon on pistons
4. broken piston ring (do compression test)
5. as said worn stretched timing chain hitting guide plate
6. excessive valve/shim clearances........noise will get worse as engine is revved and noise will be in time with engine revs and get worse the hotter the engine gets

theres a few things to check out but i would take a serious look at the turbo first

stee

Ive just fitted a new turbo last week and it has very little play in the shaft so that shud b ok for now but i will check the rest as soon as i get a chance to

stee

Well a second hand turbo but the excessive smoke out of exhaust has stopped just very small amoubd of smoke is visible now probz due to me not cleaning it out properly

stee

Yes i will do as soon as i get time to, i want a bore scope/ camera to look in my combustion chambers coz ive almost convinced myself that a build up of carbon is to blame for my fault