rally lights

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would have thought it was over-kill on a road car (and probably not legal to use), but as Jon says I can see it would be useful when rallying.

Didn't the NME car use something like that in an effort to redirect airflow where they wanted it?

pulsar_stu

I would have thought it was over-kill on a road car (and probably not legal to use), but as Jon says I can see it would be useful when rallying.

Didn't the NME car use something like that in an effort to redirect airflow where they wanted it?

It was on the front bumper wasnt it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Possibly... all I've got for reference is a 1/18th scale model. ;-)

EDIT: Looks like you're right; they should be mounted on the bumper:

Jon Olds

Higher mounted ones stay clean longer and give you a bit better options when pointing the beams. I copied the NME idea when I fitted mine to get more air into the oil cooler, by not fitting the centre two lights. This also had partly to do with fact I couldnt afford 4 lights when I initially fitted it....
Also, Dont under estimate the weight of the pod, fully functioning. I had to fit a stabiliser bar to hold the front up of my fibgreglass bonnet to take the weight.

Wow they look sweet..
I like the way its mounted on the top of the bonnet.
Who made the pods?
I've always wonder to fit something like that to give the car a rally look.
Only thing is i couldnt track down a rally pod.
Btw what lights are u running?

I've a 2 pairs of Piaa 80 Series, driving and spotties... Period axuliary lamps of the time.
Just don't have the pods.
Any idea which company made lamp pod kits for our car?

As the lights were most of the time covered on NME cars i couldnt figure out what lights they run.
However looking at the chrome rings on the lamps it could be Piaa 80 Series that runs H4 90/135w blubs.

Last edited:

chopper

They look good on the bumper I think! better than the bonnet but they wouldnt help the FMIC much.
Or do you think the FMIC would be ok if not running stupid boost. (1-1.2 bar mong like me)

"spikey" your right i do like the super rare ones but you can never find then (hence the word rare)

You can get universal pods or ones for other cars you might be able to adapt to fit.
But the cost of those still adds up and you might just be better of spending stupid money on the rare ones.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That'd be because the NME cars were running a top-mount. - As I said earlier, I'd be concerned that breaches "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989)" as you have more than two lights... although technically that only applies to front foglights rather than spotlights.

Obviously that's not an issue if you are rallying.

chopper

I am not 100% on all of the " road vechicles lighting regulations (as if you know the year!) but there are plenty of trucks and 4x4 road my way who go green lanning with loads of spot lights on.
Including some of my friends and they have never had a problem from the police or for a MOT. As long as you didn't have them on driving round town i wouldn't see an issue.

I asumed that the NME cars war running a top mounts.
I would say that if you wanted them on for the look and the car was for weekend blasts and not to race or track there wouldn't really be an issue with the FMIC

shroom

Dont people just have them running on main beam and not dip as you say there are thousands of 4x4 with these fitted

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oh I thought I'd replied to this already; looks like a gltich in the matrix. - I just googled "legality spotlights UK" and one of the hits is "Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations"... it's really not that hard to find it.

Anyway, like I said it's a grey area because the regulations are for foglights rather than driving lights or spotlights. So as long as they are above the bumper (thus not classified as foglights any more) you're probably OK. My concern is more that the various Police forces don't always get the legislation correct when they pull you over for what they believe is a defect. - I wonder if it's as simple as having a cover on them so they're obviously not in use on the road; off-road is a different matter?

On that basis I'd say the black car complies with the legislation, but the NME car doesn't. - To be honest it looks like it's asking for someone to reverse into them because they can only see the bonnet, and as Jon said they're more likely to get damaged by stone chips etc down there.

vss irvine

ive got one of these even rarer light pods, it was actually designed for the n/a gti rally car.

bardy complains of overheating when he uses this set up on his car.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
ive got one of these even rarer light pods, it was actually designed for the n/a gti rally car.

bardy complains of overheating when he uses this set up on his car.
Like most of the rally drivers, doesn't he take it off when it's not needed? - I remember watching the scramble at Blackpool when all the teams were trying to get their light pods on and working between stages.