Raising the compression?

S

str_motorsport

Modena Engineering Dog Box

Hi guys,

as most of us know there is currently a Group buy for the front LSD from the company Modena Engineering in Australia.

I phoned them a few days ago with some questions about the LSD and they informed me that they also supply a gearbox kit for the pulsar.

Below are the specs and you will also find a picture of the kit. Gearbox is straight cut dog engagement.

As we can see the box is much shorter than the Quaife and I believe that this is a good point as it will help with low rpm drivability.It is also shorter than the PPG but with a choice of 2 final drive ratios.

In my case for example with a GT35 turbo and a rev limit of 8500 rpm the std gearbox ratio will be too long and the same will be with the Quaife.

Mail from Modena:

“ If those rations are no good we can design anything you want. We have also made helical 5th gear for quiet drive on the freeway.

The price for the kit is 7200 AU $ ready to install in the box with no mods to the case. There are also some other parts that are not in the picture that come with the kit ( some selector parts that break when used as a dog box)

The material is all millspec grade 1 step down as what is used in F1, heat treatment is the same as any other case, hardened and tempered and full millspec shot peening.

Modena is the official supplier of Tommy Makkinen racing,Rallyart, Porsche in the USA, Toyota touring cars team (80%).”

I really think it is worth a try and I will probably order one.

Think that we could also organize a group buy and I can take care of that.

Waiting on people’s comments.

Cheers,

O

Odin

Yeah I already spoke to them about their gear kits a week or two ago, Looks like it could be another option available to the membership, I don't really fancy a dog box myself.

I spoke to Bernie at CTS yesterday when I was trying to find out about the transfer box seal problem I have, And we got on the subject of gear kits afterwards and he said he's still have a Quaife over all the other kits out there including the PPG.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

cmng

well.. damn interesting
7200 Aus look like cheaper than PPG total package

come with 1-5 gear as well selector fork ?

I was told Trust Gearbox for RNN14 actually from Modena itself if i not mistaken

S

str_motorsport

every sinlge pice is included in the kit
selectors and 5th gear too

stumo

GTIR-LOZ said:
:sad: weird why they say its compatable then might send them an email anyways to check
you'll need to get hold of a gearbox out of a 200SX as the cases are slightly different.

soin

well i still dont have my R back , the engine is still in little bits and the garage are saying they are moving forward with it but are now not using their insurance but are doing it out of their own funds , hence the snails pace ..

ive gone out of my way to source a list of parts via erics in the states in order to move this on , i am livid but keeping my composure (just )

looks like the list of damaged parts can be replaced for under a grand , oil pump , 2nd hand block , pistons , head gasket and full set of bearings ..

end of the month is the latest estimate .. fingers crossed

bride seat rails arrived yesterday and look like they will fit my corbeau carrera s thanks to a set of extra drilled holes that seem to have been tapped and threaded by previous owner , how lucky .. well 3 holes line up and the 4th lines up pretty close .. once i get the bloody car back i ll post up pics etc for fitting .. the rails were not cheap @ £260 del but there well made and if they fit easy enough could be a route to aftermarket seats in the R .. apparantly bride do say they will fit recaro and sparco as well as the brides ..

anyway will update thread again when i have more news