Raising the compression?

Godzilla

were abouts are u putting the spacer, also when pushing in the slave cylinder is it supposed to pop back out really slow , just tried again at dinner and wouldn't go in any gear and pedal was no bite but after 10mibs with engine running it started to act ok ,well better than not selecting any gear anyway

Godzilla

Just noticed it goes into all gears fine when engine is off with ease just not with it on so I would think the box was fine , my level in the resivoir is about 4mm below max should it be on max

Also noticed if I start engine in any of the gears 1st,2nd,reverse they work fine untill I disengage and try for another then it's same prob ,

Last edited:

Godzilla

think il bleed the system first see if that helps before I start wasting money ,I'm convinced it's the slave though as that's what I was playing with last before it got worse than normal ,

I know it's probly simple but how and were do I bleed the system, anything special I need thanks

steve963

yeah thats what im fearing!

Godzilla, might be worth checking the rubber pipe to the slave as mine had tiny holes in it, only showed up under pressure

but bet its the fork

Godzilla

Big job or not for clutch fork surely though if it was fork it just wouldn't select full stop not now and again only when engine is on would it

steve963

think it bends so clutch dosent disengage properly, my pedal feels sort of bendy with the bite point very close to the floor

, search for clutch change, its can be done with engine in but most take engine out

Godzilla

managed to get the car home ,but had to press clutch twice , once all the way down then up a couple inch the down again then it engaged it worked properly but had to do this for all gears, all the way pedal had no biting point untill second press getting on my tits now ,

Godzilla

well luckely iv been borrowed a trusty micra till mine is sorted so im not flapping anymore as i would have had a 3hr round trip for work walking ,

so im going to at weekend bleed the system (as under inspection the fluid is brown in the res im guessing it shouldnt be), see what happens then if nothing get the repair kit from nissan for both cylinders , then if nothing still look at clutch fork ,

does anyone have all part numbers for the above repair kits and fork ,

also checked opie oils website and it says use dot 4 brake fluid , yet my brake res cap says use dot 3 anyone know should i stick with dot 3 or is dot 4 better,

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

ok in answer to your pm, i think you've answered your own fault near the start of the thread!
that being the fluid around the top of the pedal box.
if so then i would say that your clutch master is leaking by fluid which is giving you the irregular feel on pedal and making it difficult to get in gear.
i would whip that off and fit a replacement before going any further

dot 4 fluid is fine, and if i were you i would just fit another known good unit as opposed to rubber kit as the bore or cylinder may be damaged!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd go with fork too. Mine was ok when first started up, but slowly got worse with use. Did it everytime for a while until it finally gave up. (pivot point bust through the fork)

Godzilla

boby-its only slightly wet round the rod area not dripping like mad or coving the floorpan or anything, woukld a brand spanker be best bet or do you have any decent units,

fast guy- it only used to struggle in reverse once fully warm but from yesterday as i was inspecting the slave it started doing it all the time when i started it up this morn which leads me to belive its the slave, or master.

P

pulsarboby

it shouldnt be wet at all, if fluid is coming out then air is getting in;-)

ive got good s/h units some of which look quite new, pm me if you want me to send one out to you or bite the bullet and get a new one.

Godzilla

heres a pic of what it looks like ,

the hole area is brown and wet to touch and there was a droplet sat at the bottom of it but not come back since i wipped it off