R wont start

A

Anonymous

yesterday driving down doing about 100mph in 4 then braked abit dropped it in 3 and then in 4 then the car started jerking then all of sudden it went off. and now i try to start it,doesnt start it want to turn but it seems like the battery is dead but the battery is ok. any one know whats wrong with it

C

charlie

when you say the battery is ok, how do you know?? The reaon i say it is perhaps the alternator died, and the car slowly discharged your battery until it didnt have enough to run.

Jump start your car and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

tried to jump start it but still dont start, there seems like they aint no power going to engine to start it,

A

Anonymous

if the engine was gone would the car still start, how can i check my alternator

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked the battery to make sure it's ok and not just assumed it's ok?
It could well be the alternator has died was the battery light on before (make sure no wires have fallen off it)? It also could be a loose battery terminal, ignition amplifier, ecu, ignition (HT side), fuel pump and probably a couple of other things too.

j10gtr

I would go for the battery first

Test the voltage of the battery with no load should be around 12-12.5 Volts

Turn on the headlights and watch the voltmeter if the voltage falls very quickly and continues to fall the battery is flat.

If the voltage falls around 2 volts and hold the battery is ok.

Try charging the battery and when charged try starting the car again.

If the car starts measure the voltage at the battery should be about 14.5 volts if alternator is healthy.

if car doesnt start then let us know

Thanks
Paul

A

Anonymous

you can hear the fuel pump,battery and altenator is o.k aswell, i have been told it is the dizzy, does anyone know if this could be the reason, how much is it

j10gtr

have you got any fault codes on your ecu ?.

The only thing i can think of in the dizzy would be the crank angle sensor.

have you got a spark when cranking ?

Thanks
Paul

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If there's no spark, check the ingition amp, crank angle sensor, dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads.

A

Anonymous

ive checked most things still cant seem to find out whats wrong with it, is there any way i can get it checked on the copmuter to pin point what is exactly wrong with and why it dont start. where can it be done in birmingham

zia

have you checked if your getting spark at coil lead? is car getting any fuel? have you done a code check? i doubt it will be fuse.

zia

A

Anonymous

how do i do a code check i dont know much about cars, is the code check easy to do

H

hijacker1

look at the first thread on the page and it will tell you der how to do a code check. :wink:

E

Edd

whereabouts in birmingham are you, if your close i'll come have a look, although meant to go help rob with his clutch but been realy busy :oops: :oops: