Quick delimiter question

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've already got converted clocks in my R, and I always assumed it had been delimited... until I went to the rolling road day and it stopped at 7000rpm in 4th gear.

So what I'm wondering is this; can I remove the limiter by simply cutting the wire which goes back to the ECU? (If that's the case, which one is it?) - The reason I ask is because I always thought the device is pretty simple; take the voltage from the speedo drive, drop it down, fool the clocks into reading 0.621 of the original signal... so the limit just goes to 180mph (which is a speed I'll never reach anyway)... However, maybe it's not as simple as I thought.

I've got a spare delimiter that came off a second set of clocks. It's one of the 5-wire type (part CK-UN-09; V109.02.04); Rev=+12V; Green=Earth; Yellow=Speed in; Blue=Speed out; Grey=ECU output - the grey one has been cut-off really short. That's what got me wondering if I can just take my clocks out and snip the wire rather than disconnect everything to wire-in the spare delimiter.

dotalot

The de-limiter chips only worked sporadically in my car. I tried a couple, sometimes it would limit and sometimes it would go past.
I fitted the ecu out of a UK motor to fix it, but im pretty sure it can be taken out of the jap ecu by someone who knows what they are doing.

Trip

I've already got converted clocks in my R, and I always assumed it had been delimited... until I went to the rolling road day and it stopped at 7000rpm in 4th gear.

So what I'm wondering is this; can I remove the limiter by simply cutting the wire which goes back to the ECU? (If that's the case, which one is it?) - The reason I ask is because I always thought the device is pretty simple; take the voltage from the speedo drive, drop it down, fool the clocks into reading 0.621 of the original signal... so the limit just goes to 180mph (which is a speed I'll never reach anyway)... However, maybe it's not as simple as I thought.

I've got a spare delimiter that came off a second set of clocks. It's one of the 5-wire type (part CK-UN-09; V109.02.04); Rev=+12V; Green=Earth; Yellow=Speed in; Blue=Speed out; Grey=ECU output - the grey one has been cut-off really short. That's what got me wondering if I can just take my clocks out and snip the wire rather than disconnect everything to wire-in the spare delimiter.

The ECU should be receiving the converted signal like the clock does. Probably there are different types of converters. I would not cut the wire going to the ECU.

On a side note, both the signal of the speedo and revs are NOT Voltage. They work on Frequency.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ah - that would explain why it's more complex than I thought... and why it needs the 12V feed instead of just a suitable resistor.

Yeah, it surprised me that the kmh clocks are reading in mph... but that the ECU still knows when I've hit 118mph (which would be 180kmh if I had 14" wheels on it). As I said, I would have thought it would limit the car to 180mph instead. - I'm uneasy about cutting anything, and the sticky in the how-to guide is for a 6-wire delimiter (and the pictures have the wrong colour cables and are too small to work off anyway).

vss irvine

ive never liked delimiter chips, we fitted an apexi rsm, as you can adjust your limit through it.

they are a bit pricey new, but can be picked up 2nd hand