Propellar noise???!!!

PulsarTom

When i drive i get a propellar noise coming from beneath my feet that gets louder when speed increases!! Also vibrates the floor aswell. Had it since i bought the car a few months ago, but when driving down a motorway does get annoying!! any info on what could cause this awful noise? Thanks in advance Tommy

O

odie

I get exactly the same thing. I had one of my prop shaft bearings replaced not long ago, so it kind of makes sense that it could be that. I'll be taking mine in somewhere soon enough to check it out so I'll let you know if that is the problem.

G

gtirkazi

i had a similar problem as well. Does the propellor sound become louder under load and no sound at all off load?

if the propellor sound does become louder under load and no sound at all off load then most likely that would be caused by shaft play in the turbo.

i only know of this because the workshop where my car was had this sound. Turns out to be a combo of oil in the turbo and shaft play. And when the oil was cleaned away from the turbo, the oil was not lubricating the propellor in the turbo anymore and had this sound only under load.

P

pulsarboby

gtirkazi said:
i had a similar problem as well. Does the propellor sound become louder under load and no sound at all off load?

if the propellor sound does become louder under load and no sound at all off load then most likely that would be caused by shaft play in the turbo.

i only know of this because the workshop where my car was had this sound. Turns out to be a combo of oil in the turbo and shaft play. And when the oil was cleaned away from the turbo, the oil was not lubricating the propellor in the turbo anymore and had this sound only under load.
thats not gonna cause the floor to vibrate is it!!!!

more than likely what the weasel has said, or the other possibility is a badly worn or slightly bent driveshaft, front or rear.

boucherie

could be that the prop has dropped a balance weight, mine did that about 2 years ago and ive only just put the replacement on this morning!! its not a difficult job providing you get the car high enough to work under and you'll need a trolley jack to take the weight during reassembly, oh and dont round the nuts off cos ul spend hours trying to get it off, trust me i know!! :der:

for some reason i found it easier to start connecting from the transfer box and work towards the rear diff, rather than putting the brackets on first, just do them as you work along the prop.

PulsarTom

right okay guys, few things to check there then!! but cheerz for all your comments and tht much appreciated!! i will let people no whats the problem when i find out!! and yes under load gets louder, not under load no noise at all!! does sound like the prop shaft though and not something that the turbo could sound like! i had the turbo checked out other week and no known problems were found! thanks guys. Tommy

G

gtirkazi

had a noise similar to that as mine only happen under load.

no vibration thru the floor pan.

would be a totally separate issue imo

PulsarTom

well the vibration is minimal, maybe i made it out to be more than what it actually is! but can feel slight vibration and only when under load with the noise!!