Project Shit Box (2021)

Cathode

I gave them a ring last week, but they said they couldn't help me!
Might try them again just in case.

I have got Performance Silicone Hoses Ltd looking at tooling the two pipes for me.
Hopefully they can sort it out, or worse case I'll drop those pipes off to them later this week to hopfully cobble something together!

I saw a kit from China on Ebay, but I'm not 100% its worth the risk, but if I'm struggling, I might have to grab that kit if it can be delivered on time!

Denso 720cc
Blimey, times are tough to be a GTIR owner if you want any bits. i am a bit of a hoarder for parts for this very reason. Thin on the ground.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I have an engine in the engine bay! :sunglasses:

stone-cold-steve-austin-beer-bash.gif

Overall it was a pretty incident free day.

Couple of small issues with a few parts/items that needed replacing, plus remembering where parts went/fitted, but really.... it went in without too much hassle. :fearscream:

20240406_201605.jpg

One thing that did happen was when clearing space in the garage, is I found my alternator hiding in a random box with a whole bunch of bolts etc I've been missing and a gearbox mount too.

I'd not seen then for about 5 years and suddenly I found them hiding in a box, where I'd never thought I have put them.
Either way, they are all now installed and due to the mods to my inlet plenum, I can get to it easier if I need to get it refubished.

20240406_161815.jpg

Engine going in!

20240406_113741.jpg

20240406_113734.jpg

20240406_113738.jpg

20240406_153556.jpg

So, the engine is in, however there is a lot more to do...

I've still got to torque up the driveshafts, ARB's, exhaust and find a few electrical plugs some homes.

Massive thanks to @campbellju who also helped getting the engine in, very much appreciated.

Next, I need to order a replacement turbo for the car with a new inline oil filter and get that all plumbed in, bolt in the items listed above and charge up my battery to see what electrical issues/gremlins I'll have and once all those items are sorted, I can look at starting it up and prep it for an MOT and back on the road for 2025!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
raw-427966403.gif

I may have bought a new turbo....

GTX2876 (.86) Gen2

Massive shout to Owen Developments who did me a deal on it.

I've had a few other quotes, but the nice lady gave me a price I could not ignore and stuffed it on my credit card...

tumblr_mgc9tt73TJ1qm5ctko1_500-426715879.gif

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Awesome!!! Nothing like a new shiny blower in the bay. Won’t be long before it’ll be sucking and dumping.
I'm actually pretty upbeat at the moment.

I also spoke to a InTrax suspension yesterday who can supply me with some really good coilover options.

intrax-logo-4098684359.jpg

We have been discussing about the best suited coilovers and potential spring rate development for the car, specific to my needs.

It has be very refreshing speaking to company who is proactively trying to help me rather than turning me away.

All I need to do now is find somebody who is willing to secure me an ECU, and is competent enough to map the car.

Cathode

I'm actually pretty upbeat at the moment.

I also spoke to a InTrax suspension yesterday who can supply me with some really good coilover options.

View attachment 4865

We have been discussing about the best suited coilovers and potential spring rate development for the car, specific to my needs.

It has be very refreshing speaking to company who is proactively trying to help me rather than turning me away.

All I need to do now is find somebody who is willing to secure me an ECU, and is competent enough to map the car.
That's really good progress. Things are starting to fall into place.

Sailor96

looking good andy,

was it you that had the intrax suspension parts already sitting about in their garage? one set just isn't good enough eh? Good to know they will produce customs bits as well, they seem like a very capable business

interesting to see people trying different turbos since advancement in tech has improved heaps since these cars were produced. matching your GTX2876 with a exhaust manifold?

keep up the great progress

Edit: I was think of @MarkTurbo (s) build that had some of the intrax bits laying about

Last edited:

DaniRS

Good inspiration for me! I took the car apart 4 years ago (engine, body and interiors) :tired: for a total overhaul and now I can finally put it together.
I´m also interessed on Intrax, have chatted with Donald befor engine blows up... He recommended the 1k2 with camberplates to me. What he recommended to you?
What is your power target?