Problems with group buy manifold

L

LGNY

Just a quick enquiry as to see if anyone else has had problems with the 2fast 2cool manifold sealing correctly against the head of the engine.

After getting mine fitted and mapped it has subsequently blown the gasket after about 2 weeks of driving. Has anyone else this experience and if so what did you do to cure the problem.

Apparently my mechanic said that the holes on the block and the holes for the manifold dont line up exactly and are diffferent sizes and apparently this is the reason for the gasket failing, but i have yet to see this with my own eyes!

The trouble is i dont want to but it back together with a new gasket and risk it blowing again in a few weeks! and neither do i want to fit the old manifold as i have just had it set-up.

Any ideas anyone, one thought was to make my own gasket, but i dont know or anywhere that sells exhaust gasket 'by the roll'.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You can see what your mechanic means by the holes not matching properly in the pic from the galley (see link below)

http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1106&c=21

Although not a match for the SR20 head as the ports on the manifold are round and the ports on the head are oval, it should make the seal any weaker, just not very good for exhuast flow.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem with the 2fast2cool manifold.

You also might want to check that the flange that fits upto the head is flat. I've seen this before, on one of the "cheaper" manifolds. The manifold is welded up incorrectly and the heat from the welding process distorts the flange so much so that it won't sit flush on the head and even when bolted up it has spots that will be prone to blow due to the lack of clamping pressure in some spots.

Check the manifold by sitting the flane on something 100% flat, a sheet of glass or at least kitchen worktop, if not flat you will see the gaps.

If you have any other issues with this manifold I suggest you get in touch with 2fast2cool directly and ask for a replacement or money back.

Let us know the out come

Good luck

Steve

T

tro||

dont want to sound like a complete @rse but what do you expect when you buy cheap crap ??

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Thats what I was going to say but I thought I'd try and be nice about it :lol:

Basically, these manifolds are cheap chinese made crap and you'd be better of refitting the standard one

Then get on the phone to 2 fast 2 cool and demanding you ££ back :evil:

stumo

Dandud hasn't had a problem with his manifold yet, we got the faces machined flat and ground the flange to match the gasket.

Then again, if you haven't done that what do you expect?

Last edited:

Mr GTiR

I know Coxie had his 2fast2cool manifold crack on him but then again he is running a 2871R turbo.

As already stated, you get what you pay for.

L

LGNY

Cheers for the information lads. Youve been helpful. Looks like i will checking if the flange is flat then!

I know that you get what you pay for, but i thought hey why not! Oh well.

Although, if the flange is flat, what are peoples thought on if i managed to cut my own gasket to provide more 'seal' for the manifold??

bopper

sorry mate can i ask a question why is ya name LGNY??
cause thats my number plate on my pulsar L572 GNY

L

LGNY

Would you get away with using two gaskets then? Do you thikn it would solve the problem or just delay it.

Best to see if the flange is level first!!!

Cheers for the advice people, much appreciated.

L

LGNY

Yeah my number plate the same, well obviously the numbers arent, but the letters are. Both are vehicles must have been registered in the same place!? Bath? as thats where i got mine many moons ago

L

LGNY

Hi, the manifold has finally come off for inspection, and when the manifold sits on a flat surface it rocksfrom side to side. Thus making the flange that bolts to the head not exactly straight!!

At leats the problem is identified and can be resolved with the manufacturer.

Cheers for the advice and knowledge you guys possess.

Peter