Power FC - Lambda or Wideband

Trip

I will be using a PowerFC on the car and was wondering if it can accept a wideband input instead of the OE Lambda?

I've also got a PLX R500 Datalogger which can output both wideband and narrowband lambda. If the PFC cannot accept wideband, can I feed it with the narrowband signal coming from the PLX ?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I will be using a PowerFC on the car and was wondering if it can accept a wideband input instead of the OE Lambda?

I've also got a PLX R500 Datalogger which can output both wideband and narrowband lambda. If the PFC cannot accept wideband, can I feed it with the narrowband signal coming from the PLX ?
First question - No, you need a datalogit.

Second question - Maybe, I have heard of people doing this but not tried it.

Just put the wide band where the manufacturer suggest. My AEM needs to be fitted away from the exhaust outlet. I expect the Bosch sensors have a shorter service life when too close. This might be 5 years rather than 8 years but the instructions were specific and it meant the narrow band location was too close.

The narrow band sensor is pretty useless on a well mapped car so I generally leave mine off as it controls fueling worse than my open loop map.

Jim

Trip

First question - No, you need a datalogit.

Second question - Maybe, I have heard of people doing this but not tried it.

Just put the wide band where the manufacturer suggest. My AEM needs to be fitted away from the exhaust outlet. I expect the Bosch sensors have a shorter service life when too close. This might be 5 years rather than 8 years but the instructions were specific and it meant the narrow band location was too close.

The narrow band sensor is pretty useless on a well mapped car so I generally leave mine off as it controls fueling worse than my open loop map.

Jim
Thanks Jim.

First question: I do have a datalogit. Though not in my hands. Do the Aux inputs go in the datalogit box or the power FC ?

Second question: I had done this on my ex Honda, which i also had to put a resistor cause the OE lambda had an internal heater.

I already have a wideband bung 2 feet away from turb, and was hoping to remove the OE lambda and block the hole, feed the PFC with the lambda from PLX, unless option one is a good option.

How can the car control fuel when on closed loop and it does not have a sensor ?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
1. Use Analogue inputs of datalogit
2. Probably go with option 1
3. You switch off the sensor in the pfc or datalogit then it doesn't try to do closed loop control.

@Stu, hello there, long time no talk. hope you're well and will have to PM you sometime.

Jim

stumo

You connect the wideband output to the aux input. The output is usually 5v.

You can run a PFC without the OE Llambda sensor, in the settings you can turn it off. You will then be running the engine in open loop..IE it is reading off the "map" and not using the oe sensor. Closed loop is when the sensor is being used.

The wideband feed going to the datalogit is logged, you can then change the map settings to obtain the correct AFR.

Trip

thanks for all the great advice guys..

I was hoping to use the AFR, EGT and Knock (via a resonant type sensor) outputs from the PLX to feed the inputs of the datalogit and also feed the datalogit with a map sensor for boost (or get an apexi boost kit). That way I can use datalogit to log all my data. and leave the PLX for display.