Possible rear caliper amazing discovery?

SPEN

Right before i get shot down in flames this is only five minutes into investigation and i might be talking out my arris! Just having a tidy up in the breakers yard,sorry garage. I came across several old Fiat coupe 16v non turbo rear calipers. Ive owned six coupes and still have two so there are loads of parts in my garage. I am trying to sort my rear gtir calipers out at the moment and the piston and seal is corroded and split. Rememebering that the rear piston on the fiat are wind on type,curiosity kicked in! Hmmmm on visual inspection they look identical and the fiat piston screws into the nissan caliper nicely? Like i say early days but if they do,fiat rear calipers can be got for peanuts and may be another source for pistons? Going to investigate more and either be chuffed to bits or hide from the laughter???? :der:

SPEN

Well after a couple of quick measures with engineers calipers the length is the same and so is the bore. Fingers crossed!

SPEN

Yes i know what you mean john! but thats not the point. The fiat brakes and system are crap but its the piston thats the possible good thing!

SPEN

Just checked and the piston seals fit!!! whats the catch? Stuff it im going to try them and re assemble the brakes!!! see you in intensive care after my hideous car smash! caused by brake failure!!!!!!

Why dont you just by new pistons for the gtir calipers?
About £25 each.
Surely for that money its not worth the messing around

SPEN

I didnt go out of my way to try and find some to fit it was just accidental and curiosity. I had thought new pistons were a lot more than that? Any way i will prob go down the recon route in the near future.

Jon Olds

My rally golf has Grp A peugeot valves in it. In the race world I believe they look primarily at the dimensions/spec and not the label.