ported

kirko

latest project is porting my manifold check out the pics
ive matched the ports to the head and opened them right out and removed the casting marks, the pictures dont do it justice

kirko

yes its not too bad when you have the right tools i would imagine it taking days with a dremmel
the manifold gets so hot they work harden themselves and you need the carbide tipped tooling to make any impression

N

Norfy

have you thought about dowelling it to the head so that it sits perfectly inline?

i have been smoothing all the internals on my inlet plenum recently.
you can get a better flow if you taper the 63mm inlet on the upper manifold btw.

kirko

Norfy said:
have you thought about dowelling it to the head so that it sits perfectly inline?

i have been smoothing all the internals on my inlet plenum recently.
you can get a better flow if you taper the 63mm inlet on the upper manifold btw.
i didnt want to go to all that trouble to be honest
just want to get my car finished as soon as poss.

N

Norfy

tell me about it, mines been of the road for 6weeks now :cry:
but i am mirror polishing the manifold externally aswell tho :D

A

AJ4

Nice work fella !

If you want any ideas for the inlet...

Got rid of that awful step in the throttle body inlet, half shafted the throttle spindles ( increased the inlet flow about 30 % :D ), knife edged the butterflies, profiled the plenum to get rid of the 'steps' and contoured it to flow better.... Just doing the head now...

P

pulstar rob

hi kirko, how hard was the castiron manifold to grind out. i've just polished and ported my head and think i need to do the manifolds to get the must benifit from it.

kirko

it was hard when i tried with a dynofile
once i got the carbide tipped wheels it was no problem just time consuming

O

Odin

I did mine with the carbide bits to, But mines a lot smoother and shinyer as I spent quite a few hours with the fine drums on my dremel and some wet and dry :wink: .

I also cut the gasket to fit the bigger inlets, and matched it to the head.

rob

O

Odin

kieron said:
shame you didn't wear googles :shock: :lol:

:shock: :oops: oops did I tell you about that then :oops: :lol: .

yeah I nearly forgot about haveing to have the doctor drill a bit of metal out of my eye ball :shock: , Thanks for reminding me :x :oops: .

rob

G

GTI-R Kid

AJ4 - What did you use to knife-edge the butterflies? How delicate is it to half-shaft them? Are you not risking weakening them as a result? Cheers

A

AJ4

The butterflies were started with a file to get most of the metal off, then radius'd at the end with sandpaper.

The throttle shaft is way over-engineered on the Pulsar, considering the small amount ( relatively ! ) of air flowing past it. It was cut down using a hacksaw and finished off by hand file. I tried to bend it by hand once I cut it down and I couldn't, its still a steel rod about 8mm x 4mm ! :D

The only worry I'd have about it bending is not having a dump valve, ie, coming off boost and having all that pressure smacking into the butterfly. But then again, on closed throttle the butterfly is pressed into the throttle chamber, the shaft doesn't actually take that much strain....