Poor braking performance on first press of pedal?

S

Stoned

Has anyone ever noticed on their R that when you first press the brake pedal upon making a trip the brakes are really awful?

Once I almost drove into another car comming the other way in the car park because it was so bad. But when you press the pedal afterwards normal performance is restored.

Just me?

kyepan

People get this with the AP racing calipers.

I sometimes get no brakes when on boost, this aparently can be when the vacume valve has failed. I'm going to check it at the weekend.

But am not sure where it is, anyone got a picture?

G

Grezza

Tell me about it.
Since I got my car back a week ago I have overshot so many junctions on my first hard brake. I'm going to have to take it a bit more carefully :roll:

S

Stoned

Yeah this only happens on the first brake though, it's fine after that. It is only a problem if that first brake happens to be a vital one!

matty I think that's clutching at straws a bit mate ;)

R

robinsongtir

might be something as simple as rust that has gathered on the discs after being left overnight and the pads are clearing it of the first time you touch the brakes as well.What pads are you using some pads don't work so well when they are cold.

mattygti-r

chris imeant as in, its not really been you rweek mate to a certain extent..

what pads do you run? if they are ECB greenstuffs then i can imagine your breaking could be a bit hairy

also what discs do you have?

paz

I think robinsongtir is spot on with this one, on the majority of cars a thin surafce layer of rust will form when they have been stood for a few hours. After the first brake this disappears and the brakes work fine again. I get this at times.

Altermatively it could be that your pads need to get to an optimum temperature, and once you've braked once they are at that temp.

Paz