Please help (new to all this) fuel probs

A

Anonymous

Hi there, recently brought a pulsar (wow)and im very pleased with it so far except turbo gasket gone but dave at dp sorted me and just recently gearbox probs which is being sorted at the moment, apparently id stripped 3rd gear and just waiting for parts from japan (3rd gear main shaft and 3rd gear lay gear)is it usual all parts have to be shipped? anyway my main prob is i drive the car everyday for work but am having some serious fuel probs it only does about 120 miles to 30 pound of fuel so im in two minds what to do, it revs a bit erratic now and again and i drive it carefully during the day, it is not highly modified just hks powerflow induction kit and mongoose exhaust, the chap i brought it off reckoned they all did it but after reading some info on here noticed a few people had the same problem, my problem is where to start looking lamba sensor etc. to be honest im not really technically minded and theres no places local i can take it too, (well i dont know of any) i live in wolverhampton can someone please help as i dont want to sell it, i love it already thanks MB

GINGA

hhmmm 120 to £30 sounds about right :shock:
Probably bit excessive for a standard car though, try doing a fault code test(see top of page) to see if theres any faults stored on the ecu :?:
Might be a dodgy Knock sensor or lambda sensor but could just need a good service and timing setup etc :wink:
Btw what fuel are you using :?:

A

Anonymous

Fuel Prob

Im using regular unleaded as i was told you only had to use super if running more boost through a bleed valve which im not, the revving is very erratic sometimes even upto 1500rpm but other times it purs at about 950, do you think if i had it rolling roaded they would source the problem, im considering it any way as powerstation in cheltnam isnt too far away, with regard to the fault codes i couldnt find where you were saying to look and i dont think id know what i was doing anyway. any tips

A

Anonymous

whys that then, its costing me about 80 in fuel a week as it is, ive read on here some people have had nearly 300 to a tank how is that possible

andygtir

jap fuel is rated at over 100ron, our normal unleaded is only 95ron. use optimax as its around the 98ron mark and will be much better at preventing detonation and save your pistons from meltdown. if you really want to run normal unleaded get it set up on a rolling road properly, but you will lose power as the timing will have to be retarded. i even got mine adjusted for optimax, the timing was retarded from 20 to 18 degrees.

but whatever you do dont run normal unleaded in the car. ive been told by quite a few people that although optimax is a little more expensive around 5p/litre it actually gives much better mpg as its a cleaner buring fuel, dont know if its true but i'd like to think so with the amount i get through!

300miles to a tank would be all motorway, cruising at 70 with no boost the whole journey. more realistic is 200miles to a tank on average for £35 of optimax.

enjoy the car though...

GINGA

What they said about the fuel :wink: to get 300 miles to a tank you'd have to drive like miss daisey at about 50mph with a strong tail wind and switching off the engine when going down hill on a motorway to get anywhere near that mpg :shock: 200-240 miles to a tank is about the norm for a R
Trip trip to power station would be a good idea to :wink:

GTIR-LOZ

i first run my R on unleaded, didnt know only put it in once :( and it reved funny and shit even with super it run a little weird, as soon as i used optimax it sorted it i never use anything else now, maybe change your fuel filter as they become blocked easily and the ecu could possibly be getting fuel delivery at max bit of a long shot :shock: but also look for any split vacuum pipes, and maybe check the maf has a good earth on it as that can cause high fuel consumption, however if you drive it like you stole it, you can use ALOT of fuel

A

Anonymous

i generally drive it normal, (except when perhaps a subaru or just recently an astra gsi turbo which are suprisingly quick pull up next to me) anyway :lol: where can i get hold of a fuel filter, how do i check the earth on the MAF and where do i start looking for split vacuum hoses, sorry im not that mechanically minded and i am not use to all this, i would greatly appreciate all your help though, P.s im def gonna get it down to powerstation asap( when i get it back from its new third gear and gearbox rebuild)