painting inside car

whytie

Just got my roll cage fitted, now im thinking about painting the inside of the car as well as the cage. Who has all ready done this?
Did use paint over the sound proofing or rip that up. Im just going to use spray cans so im not to sure how the finish will be. Also how many cans of paint do use think it will take to paint.

jamesgtir

to be honest the cage should have been painted before it was fitted.
ive painted the inside of mine using rattle cans and the results are pretty good. all i did was remove all the sound deadening, rub down the inside using a fine grit wet + dry paper, clean the inside with panel wipes or white spirit. prime the parts that need it then paint it and laquer it. you shoudnt need that much paint. just take your time, letting the paint dry in between coats and you shouldnt have any probs.

gtirjoey

to be honest the cage should have been painted before it was fitted.
ive painted the inside of mine using rattle cans and the results are pretty good. all i did was remove all the sound deadening, rub down the inside using a fine grit wet + dry paper, clean the inside with panel wipes or white spirit. prime the parts that need it then paint it and laquer it. you shoudnt need that much paint. just take your time, letting the paint dry in between coats and you shouldnt have any probs.
how did you get the sound deading out? is there an easy way or is it a case of lots of elbow grease
i need to paint the inside of my car and thinking about doing it myself rather than paying out8)

jamesgtir

to be honest mate i dont think there is a easy way. the best way i found was use a hot air gun the get the sound deading hot and use a scraper and it peels off. does take a while tho.

katemc

Just in the process of doing mine, i didnt remove the sound proofing because it was a bitch but lots of people have just takes a while!!

I bought Hammerite satin black rattle cans (one coat covers all ) , gave the interior paint a quick clean and a little rub with some extra fine sandpaper.
And then just put lots of very think coats on, took a while but looks quite good!

I used 3 cans so far, got one more just for a few spots.

whytie

Am not sure what I'm going to do, will need to do a bit of patch work aswell it all looks tidy untill you rip the interior out. I will peel some of the sound proofing off and see how easy it comes up.

stumo

I'd use scotchbrite pads instead of wet n dry paper, you'll get a more even finish and it's better to use.

whytie

That looks like cracking job you have done there looks like you got a very nice finish as well, how long did it take you to get the sound proofing up and prep the car?

Tim

Check my build thread, it was quite easy.

Remove the sound deadening with a heat gun and paint scraper, then use thinners and a rag to get rid of the residue that's left behind.

I also stripped and wrapped the wiring loom in plastic braid to make it look neater.

nex

i would try celly thinners before white spirits as they are less likely to react with paint than white spirit.

jjs

easier to remove the sound deadning when it is realy cold, just hit it with a hammer and most of it breaks of when it is brittle Jim.

jjs

it would have been easier to do the cage when it was out, but i had good results painting the cage with a small roller , and used tractol paint it is suitable for brushing or spraying, or hammerite smootrite is good also, jim.

jjs

haha, its the first round of the autocross championship on sunday the 4th of april at berwick upontweed, if your cars finished LOL.