Paint or powder coat wheels

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
This is really interesting.

I've been wanting to have my wheels refurbished for sometime now, after speaking to a number of powder coaters, they all explain that they "bake" around 110-150oC to ensure that the wheels will not become brittle or weaken the alloy.

The problem is the more I've looked into it the more it puts me off, however there are so many other people that use their cars on track (powdercoated) and never had a problem...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I now what you mean Andy. My R wheels are powder coated but still strong as an ox as they were designed for rallying. The BMW CSL wheels are lightweight wheels designed for circuits and clearly never designed for pot holes.

I can't remember what yours were like? For me the issue is the next time an inevitable crack appears I'll blame it on the powder coat process. At least being painted I know it's not an issue.

Besides, painting is thinner than powder coating so should be lighter too :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
For me the issue is the next time an inevitable crack appears I'll blame it on the powder coat process. At least being painted I know it's not an issue.

Besides, painting is thinner than powder coating so should be lighter too :)
I've got some Enkei NT03's I really wanted them powder coated for the durability, but I think I might have to have them painted now to ensure peace of mind and they don't crack and shatter when doing 100mph+ on track!

I've got some Buddyclub SF Racing on currently (in white) which also need a good repainting; I was going to have them powder coated, but I'm kind of a against that too, don't really want to be going over the mountain section well over 100mph and see my wheel shatter and end upside down in a field... :shock:

keastygtir

I have got set of WRC approved enkei wheels which when I read up about them it said they werent forged but folded or something! Maybe yours are the same

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I have got set of WRC approved enkei wheels which when I read up about them it said they werent forged but folded or something! Maybe yours are the same
They could be, but I think I've kind of talked myself out of having them done now... :(