OS Twin Plate

warringtonjack

Finally got the R back on the road, only to have major issues trying to get the OS to work. I couldnt get sufficient travel from the slave cylinder to release the clutch, even though I tried everything I could think of. I have just about managed it now, but only by swapping the bolts on the clutch pedal for shorter ones so I could get it as much travel as possible! :doh:

What I was wondering is, is the OS supposed to work with the standard slave cylinder and release fork, or am I supposed to have upgraded? :noidea:

P

pulsarboby

it will work with the standard slave and fork and the biting point should be at least an inch from the floor.

did you use the giken release bearing when fitting? as there different to a normal one

warringtonjack

Yeah, used a brand new OS bearing. Thats the thing see, there's not a cat in hell's chance of me getting the biting point an inch off the floor. Its in the carpet at the mo, and thats the highest I can get it. Just seems I'm not getting the full travel of the piston out of the slave cylinder. :?

warringtonjack

noriek2003 said:
you can, as abit of bodge :lol: , stick something between the fork and the slave cylinder.
Hehe, thats how i worked out if the clutch was working! I held a bolt between them whilst the bird pressed the clutch. Hey presto, everything worked! :lol: Just need to work out why its happening now. :roll:

I suppose a drastic measure would be to heat up the clutch pedal arm and bend it slightly, so effectively getting a touch more travel before it hits the carpet. Hmmm. :lol:

noriek2003

pm justy, or search on his name as he had a similar problem,

cant remember if you can get it wrong with the os bearing ?? but you have got it in the right way havn't you ?

youngsyp

You need to be careful as, the slave cylinder and master cylinder pistons could be nearing the edge of their travel distance. So, you could end up damaging the pistons and/or cylinder bore.
It sounds like there is a problem with you set up ?!

Have you bled the clutch hydraulic circuit recently ?

Is the clutch fork bent ?

Paul

warringtonjack

noriek2003 said:
pm justy, or search on his name as he had a similar problem,

cant remember if you can get it wrong with the os bearing ?? but you have got it in the right way havn't you ?
Can only be put in one way iirc.

youngsyp said:
Have you bled the clutch hydraulic circuit recently ?

Is the clutch fork bent ?
Bled the system twice. Clutch fork looked as straight as any other clutch fork when I put it in. I'm sure this bit of the system is ok, because the fork releases the clutch when its pushed far enough, only problem is, the piston from the slave cylinder doesnt seem to be reaching its full travel to get to that point. :noidea:

GTIR-LOZ said:
have you taken up any play in the pedal itself
Yeah, i start feeling pressure about 1cm from top of pedal, but clutch is only disengaging when the pedal gets right to the bottom of the travel. Seems to much to me. How much travel should there be between feeling pressure, and clutch disengaging? :noidea:

Thanks for the help lads. Keep the ideas coming. I'll have a search for Justy's thread.

warringtonjack

Well, i've read through Justy's thread, and I can only conclude that the pivot ball/fork contact wears down over the years. Given that the box and the fork are probably 17 years old, they've probably worn like fook. As far as I can tell, this would give me the symptoms i'm getting. I'll prob need to space out the pivot at some point in the future, but I'll just struggle on as is for now.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000&highlight=giken

Any other comments will be gratefully received. :thumbsup: