Oil leak

matt-sab

:oops:
had the car out sat for a run and boost checking etc and all was fine
got back put the car on the drive and noticed a oil run from the gates to the car, not bad just a drip line.
knocked the car straight off but the leak kept on driping,put a small bowl under it and its about 1/2 inch deep with oil
the oil smells and was not hot but luke warm, the car was hot at the time oil temp 85o c according to gauge.
so i guess it s gearbox oil leak ??? :?:
it seems to coming from the small breather type hole under the engine/g box where the 2 meet.it also seemed to be leaking around where the clutch fork goes into the box.
its stopped leaking now,i checked the engine oil level and its fine,and will be toppping up the gearbox soon,got to et some first lol
ps i am not using the car for now.
here is the leak and from where

please help advice poss probs/ideas and solutions please
:oops: :(
gutted matt.

antgtir

I have the same leak mate however mine is not as severe by the sounds of it. Ive asked a few people and i believe it is the seal that lie's between the gearbox end and the bell housing. That hole where the block and bell housing meet is a small weep hole to remove oil from the bell and clutch plate area.

If you have ever changed the gearbox oil before you should be able to tell the difference in smell from gearbox oil to engine oil.

It means the box has to come off and get stripped which while its there you may as well get the bearings changed for new and if your really flush then a new gearset :twisted:

My input shaft bearing would defo get changed if i get mine done, however it is a £ issue which i need to sort asap as something is bound to give :cry:

Ant.

matt-sab

yeah spoke to a mate earlier on and he said exactly the same !!!
box out,new seals and bearings and a good check over etc
not a great job i bet to do
:oops: :evil:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Guys, if in the time you have owned the car, have you (or a garage) changed your gearbox oil lately ??

If you have there is a chance you slightly over filled it, the car must be on level ground when you change the box oil.

If you have over filled it (and it only needs to be a little over) the box tends to find it's own level by expelling the excess oil out of the gearbox breather, this is situated on the top of the gearbox and should have a 12mm rubber pipe with a U bend connected to it, the end of the pipe is usually secured into place by plastic clip behind the distributor somewhere. The oil quite often comes out the pipe and runs onto the Bell housing/engine joint, seeps into the bell housing and runs from the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing, making it look very much like your gearbox oil seals are leaking.

Just check the breather pipe to see if it's showing signs of leaking, if you think it might be, somehow secure a small plastic (I used a small plastic kiddies drink bottle) container to the end of the pipe and wedge/cable tie it into place somewhere, go for a drive and check to see if there is any new oil leaking.

When I had this problem I was convinced it was the G/box inner seals that had gone but after endless checking I discovered the oil was coming from the breather pipe, in the end about half a litre came from the pipe. All the oil levels are fine and gearbox leak free now.

Just worth checking it out first.

matt-sab

thanks for the levels idea,i have only had the car 1 month so no i have no topeed it up but its worth a leak as there was oil running down the casing like i said from where the clutch fork goes into the box or there abouts
thanks for all the good ideas and advice !!!!!
8) :D
just need someone to offer to pop over and get the box out if thats the prob lol
:wink:

matt-sab

input shaft bearing has colapsed and took out the seal thats why the leak
lucky i found it when i did and not used it since etc
off for a full gearbox rebuild mid next week !
1 job less to do later lol :wink:

antgtir

matt-sab said:
input shaft bearing has colapsed and took out the seal thats why the leak
lucky i found it when i did and not used it since etc
off for a full gearbox rebuild mid next week !
1 job less to do later lol :wink:
This sounds like mine may one day give up the ghost too :cry: oh well, let me know where and how much the gearbox cost you etc when you have the bill in your hand as im sure i will have to do it some day.

My input shaft bearing can be a little noisy sometimes so im guessing eventually it will go, hopefully ill be able to get the same signs before something is damaged beyond repair.

Sorry to hear about the gearbox misshap matey, im sure you will sort it soon enough and you will be back on the road in no time, good luck.

Ant. :wink:

P.s. Steve, funny you should say that about the oil change, i dont think any oil is leaking from the top breather but it did seem to start after i had changed the gearbox oil, thing is though i did it on a flat level in the garage and only filled it to the check level :? i was thinking maybe its was me overfilling by forcing the oil in too quick or i had used a different oil to what maybe recommended and its forced its way past the oil seals within the box, will have to check it out. :roll: :?