Oil leak from crank seal?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was just looking at the car and I noticed there's a dribble of oil on the drive under it. - I took a closer look and it seems like it's coming from behind the main pulley.

Is that a plausible/known leaking spot? Seems like a rotating seal is a prime location to start leaking.

Is it easy to repair (or replace parts) in situ, or does the engine need to come out to do it properly?

Is there anything that should be changed/replaced at the same time? - I just figure that if it's something like the water or oil pump behind there, it's probably easier to swap an entire new one in that mess about trying to put new seals in an old one... but more expensive.

vpulsar

The seal fits into the front cover, I bought a whole new front cover to eliminate any wear from the oil pump and fitted a new water pump as well, But I believe the seal is easy enough to change on it's own if everything else is OK.

Rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Rob. - I suspect the issue is going to be removing the main pully without damaging anything behind it.

vpulsar

Thanks Rob. - I suspect the issue is going to be removing the main pully without damaging anything behind it.

You might be lucky I got mine off with gentle use of a block of wood and a pry bar. But you can always get the proper puller on it.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
You might be lucky I got mine off with gentle use of a block of wood and a pry bar. But you can always get the proper puller on it.
I did the same as Rob, just prize it off carefully.

I notice mine was leaking last year and I just bought a new crank seal and hey presto problems went away. :thumb:

shroom

George what do you use the car for these days? do you still use it for a daily or is it just a fun car now I cant remember. As you said there is always the "in a perfect world" option of replacing everything but how far do you go with that option? but if peace of mind is what your after then maybe swapping the whole lot would be worth while.

vpulsar

If you have good oil pressure and no water leaking from the water pump or over heating issues I'd just change the seal mate wont cost much apart from the time and hassle of doing it.

Why make work for yourself.

Rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Tom, it hardly gets used these days. - I walk to work most days, and Erica prefers to be in the Amica if we have to dive anywhere (as it's a lot less noisy).
There is some talk of selling one car... and as it stands that wouldn't be this one, so then it would get a bit more use.

I've not noticed any issue with the oil pressure nor engine temperature. - I've had it overheat twice in the last couple of years, but once was because the radiator hose had blown.

Sounds like all I need to do is the seal... if I can crack the crank nut and remove the pully without damaging it. - That's definitely seen better days.

grim_d

George, get it off the road and restored to it's former glory, will only take 5 years and 10k :thumbsup:

:doh:

mreguest

i have done this myself - one thing to note is i couldn't undo the crank nut myself - i had a long bar on the end of big socket/rachet etc and had it in gear friend with foot on brakes and i couldn't budge it - it felt like i was gonna lift the car off the ground! :)

took it to local garage, turn steering full lock right, reach in with air/impact gun - 10 seconds = DONE!

getting the pulley off is dangerous with some gear pullers as the rubber bit can split, i.e. don't use one of these...
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-vs79-triple-leg-gear-puller-set-4pc-p58040

or this happens:
http://www.2carpros.com/images/articles/engine/dampner/failed_harmonic_balancer.jpg

its a harmonic balance pulley so there is a rubber insert which you might destroy. you need something like this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...HAFT-GEAR-PULLEY-PULLER-IN-CASE-/181209238910

like this:
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/00112560.jpg

sorry i don't know what thread diameter the bolts need to be...

getting the old seal out is easy with flat screw driver and putting the new one back in is easy but use something like a big socket etc to knock it in flat...

Good luck!

Adam