oil leak advice

red reading

Nope they are nothing special,and do use a smear of sealant around the outer edge....and I do mean a very light smear.

P

pulsarboby

I normally stick them in place with some grease to make sure they stay in position when you bolt the cover back on
and as dan said any 0 ting of that size will suffice

bensmith907

Flippin going round in circles here- oil pumps all sealed up, but the crank seal has started leaking again Grrr. Anyone know a good aftermarket supplier for fwd crank seals?

P

pulsarboby

any motor factors sell them, im pretty sure the sunny gti is the same seal
just take an old one down there and plonk it on the counter and say
''I want that one'' lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Viton is just a brand name for fluoroelastomer; it's like the difference between Teflon and PTFE. - One is a registered trademark of DuPont Chemicals, and the other is what it's made from.

vss irvine

Get a crankseal from nissan do it once. Check your pulley isnt worn.

The motorfactor seals are cheaper for a reason.

red reading

Check your crank pulley does not have a hairline crack on the key way and also that it is not worn and also is perfectly smooth and round on any surface that comes into contact with the seal, and use a Nissan seal with grease on it on installation.

bensmith907

Will check the crank pulley for cracks, are they normally visible by eye or will I need to die penetrant it? Will get another crank seal from nissan too

bensmith907

Right- conical washers, do they point in or out? I just can't get the crank pully to stop leaking :( I've inspected for cracks, given the inside/outside a good surface finish and changed the seal and washer.

red reading

It should be centre tallest part pointing towards bolt head, clean it all off with brake cleaner, put a smidgen of blue thread lock on the threads and sealant between the washer and pulley, then torque it up to spec.

bensmith907

Given it another 2 trys yesterday. Have used different bolts and new seal. I tried pushing the seal in so its flush with the pump and I've tried pushing the seal in using the pulley both with no positive effect. Today I'm trying with a different pulley then I'm all out of ideas