oil leak advice

bensmith907

I've got an oil leak coming from around the oil pump area on my newly built engine. I'm not 100% but I'm sure its coming from the cylinder portion on top of the pump. Has anyone had this sort of problem before?

I have gone over the workshop manual for fitting the pump and it states not to put sealent where I think its coming from- this may have been overlooked at the time of the build does anyone know what that part is for (my guess would be pressure relief) and the implications of putting sealant there?

http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=205 step 5

Thanks in advance for any good gen on this

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Just out of interest, have you had any work done to the block? If it was skimmed, do you need to take the same amount off the oil pump so that the head fits flush again?

I remember something like that, but maybe it was the water pump housing. - Anyway, they couldn't get the head flush with the block because the pump housing was in the way (which manifested as an oil leak).

bensmith907

The block didn't need skiming just the head but yea its definatly something I will look into when I get the engine out but I'm pretty sure it was perfectly straight when I built it though.

vss irvine

Did you change the pump then? If you did then it should have been decked with the block to ensure it was level.

This may be your problem.

bensmith907

No the block and the pump are the same and untouched. The only thing changed were head gasket (now cosworth) block honed, new pistons and bearings. I had the block and oil pump looked at for straightness by a engineering firm so I don't think its this.

So anyone any ideas on the implications of putting sealent over the mating faces illistrated on step 5 on the link?

http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=205

P

pulsarboby

if you have applied a bead of sealant where your not supposed to you could end up blocking the oil pump main oil gallery to block, you should need no sealant there if the 0 ring is all good.
chances are its leaking on top corners where pump cover meet the head.
i always apply a thin bead of sealant to top of pump cover and to where h/g meets it then that way theres never a prob......all you have holding that front edge together is 3 10mm bolts i take it you have put those back in?
you dont need to remove the engine just the metal and ally sump pans then you can unbolt the oilpump cover and seal it correctly paying particular attention to the top and corners

bensmith907

Ok thanks for the help everyone I shall give it a go in situ if you think its do-able bob. Yes the three 10mm bolts are all in :)

bensmith907

No I initially thought it might have been the crank seal but I've changed that and everything there seems fine and dry. The leak is definatly running down the rear of the mating faces of the block/oil pump.

I'm going to french chalk the area again armed with a bit more knowledge. I hope its just that I didn't seal the corners very well

bensmith907

Yea I used the expensive nissan liquid gasket (£45 a tube I think it was) that'll put me in a bad mood when I scrape that all off lol!

Should have done it right the first time round I guess. What are good alternates to use?

Last edited:

red reading

Not a lot the Nissan one is the best, might be leaking between the layers of the mls head gasket. If the car is not leaving a puddle of oil under it or using oil I would leave it alone tbh.

bensmith907

Thanks for the advice danny. I was in favor of leaving it till I put it on the dyno and I left a puddle under the ramps. Also the oil was causing traction problems on the dyno too.

P

pulsarboby

we use loctite stuff its around £8 a tube and seals fine, think its 5910 or something like that cant remember without looking at it

bensmith907

No the block and the pump are the same and untouched. The only thing changed were head gasket (now cosworth) block honed, new pistons and bearings. I had the block and oil pump looked at for straightness by a engineering firm so I don't think its this.

So anyone any ideas on the implications of putting sealent over the mating faces illistrated on step 5 on the link?

http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=205
As I suspected the leak is coming from the oil pump at the part that says do not apply sealant to this groove in the workshp manual. Anyone got any good advice for this? Is there ment to be an o ring there maybe?

P

pulsarboby

yes there should be a rubber 0 ring there

also if you remove the pump housing without removing the head make sure you run a bead of sealant at top edge of pump under where it bolts to h/g paying particular attention to the corners or it can leak from there

bensmith907

Just to confirm the bob there's a o ring that goes here-

Grrr thatll explain a few things, Doesn't mention anything on the workshop manual about it :(

Do you know the part number for it?

Last edited:

bensmith907

Nice one hope nissan have one in stock. I'm thinking about just throwing a general rubber o ring in there instead if not, 15mm it looks like. There's no special shape to them is there?