oil in my intercooler

A

Anonymous

ok, so there's some oil in my to mount, some of it dripped out when unscrewing the hose to the turbo... Why does it do this, is it dangerous, and how do I fix it ? (oil separator/catch can or whatever ? dunno what these do n stuff, so please explain...)

William

J

J-GTi-R

A common occurance and quite normal, from memory (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it happens because the stock oil seperator isn't very good.

A

Anonymous

so, how do i fix this ?
get a better separator or something ?

R

rsnissan

you can use an oil catch can along with the standard seperator

J

Jon

William, just a word of warning on this problem,
if you r gonna clean the oil from the i/c out, do not flush/clean out your i/c with anything other than a very weak washing up liquid/water solution mate, then ensure it's bone dry b4 re-fitting.
I wouldnt even bother flushing it out, time will do that once uve fitted an aftermarket seperator.
Jon

R

rsnissan

Flush it out with petrol or white spirt. As said b4 make sure its dry. Petrol is best as it will evapourate quicker than water. Seal both ends and give it a good shake around then let it dry.

ALWAYS REMEMBER to let the petrol and crap drain out before you let it sit to dry

S

Sirnixalot

ive used petrol to clean my top mount before.....works better than weak soap and water and it dries very quickly. And if there is any left in there.....its petrol, not enough to make it run like crap either...and if you do get a rcih condition its for like 1/2 a second

andy, you have to let the petrol and crap drain out before you let it sit to dry :wink: :lol:

J

J-GTi-R

I used carb and injector cleaner, didn't drain it all out and fouled the plugs. Ran like crap for about a week afterwards... :oops:

Keira

Im still using the standard seperator with my non specific stainless steel container catch tank, :)

no oil getting anywhere it shouldn't any more :D

give the seperator a good clean out whilst you do the intercooler

A

Anonymous

and... where do I find an oil-catch tank ?
thought forge did them, but they dont :(

Keira

I made my own..

Forge do make one, a few people on here have one.
Cusco, Mocal, and spec-r make them aswell.

Theres plenty of choice.