oil catch tank fitting??

S

str_motorsport

hi, i was looking for an oil catch tank for my gti-r...but i am a bit confused....how many pipes should go to the oil catch tank?it is the same think of an oil separator?why some people with catch tank leave the standard oil separator in place?
any usefulkl pics?
thanks

A

Anonymous

str_motorsport said:
hi, i was looking for an oil catch tank for my gti-r...but i am a bit confused....how many pipes should go to the oil catch tank?it is the same think of an oil separator?why some people with catch tank leave the standard oil separator in place?
any usefulkl pics?
thanks
when you fit a catch tank,or plastic bottle in some cases :wink: ,all it does is collect the oil from the seperator so there should only be 1 pipe from the seperator to the catch tank.

S

str_motorsport

in some tanks i have seen that leave the standard one in place,basically the fit the catch tank between the pipe that goes from the right hand on the block to the plastic duct that goes from the filter to the turbo...
is this the right way to fit it??

in another gti-r i have seen, the separator has 3 connectios as follow.
1 pipe comes from the left side of the rocker cover
1 pipe goes from the left side from the rocker cover
1 pipe goes in the block

standard oil separator was removed and the hole for the pipe in the plastic duct from the filter was closed.

any good or not?
i am a bit confused

A

Anonymous

str_motorsport said:
in some tanks i have seen that leave the standard one in place,basically the fit the catch tank between the pipe that goes from the right hand on the block to the plastic duct that goes from the filter to the turbo...

1 pipe goes in the block

standard oil separator was removed and the hole for the pipe in the plastic duct from the filter was closed.

any good or not?
i am a bit confused
think you are getting your seperators and your catch tanks confused.
a catch tank does exactly as it says,it is just a resevoir for catching oil.
an oil seperator-usually seperates oil from the vapour.the vapour then gets exhausted to atmosphere and the oil usually goes into the intake side for emissions reduction.

when you fit an aftermarket or uprated seperator,of which there are several types and configurations so i`ll describe mine :wink: ,there is usually a hose from the rocker cover to the top of the seperator.the oil rich vapours from the rocker cover go into the seperator and get seperated thanks to a set of baffles.at the bottom of the sep`r,there are two connections.1 goes to the catch tank and is a pathway for the oil to be collected.the other is vented to atmosphere.

i have seen 1 tuner fook up the installation of a seperator :wink: so check carefully where all the hoses are going

hope you understand as i think i lost myself halfway through :? :oops:

Thor

str_motorsport said:

1 pipe goes in the block

any good or not?
i am a bit confused
where is the place to return the oil into the block??? has anyone a pic where i could see it?

GTi-R23

The way I've set mine up is as follows:

Std oil separator has been replaced with a length of silcone hose (Oil sep was fouling ic pipework) and coming off the other side of the plastic duct on the rocker cover I've got a length of silicone to an oil catch tank with a breather filter on the other connector on the catch tank. My intake pipework remains clean as a whistle with this set-up as the oil vapours go to atmosphere instead of burning them.
Ok not too good for the environment, but thats life.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Can you get a catch can, take the lid off it, put some steel wool in it, and call it an oil mist separator / catch can?
The difference seems to be that the separator has baffles and mesh to pull the oil out of air, whereas a catch can just catches.
Yes, it would be a ghetto mod, but it'd be cheaper than buying both of them!?