OEM oil cooler thread size

Does anyone know the thread size of the bolt that holds the existing oem oil cooler in place, as going along the route that smo took.

stumo

Does anyone know the thread size of the bolt that holds the existing oem oil cooler in place, as going along the route that smo took.

AHEM, it was me who did that...:roll:

I can't remember the thread size but i think it was UNF. YES UNF

I just took the bolt that goes through the original cooler to my friendly machinist and asked for a threaded tube, think it was 40mm long.

Last edited:
Yeah trip i know its not a bolt that is required, thats why i asked what the thread size was.

Stumo what can i say, your a trend setter and its by far the best way of fitting an external oil cooler :)

stumo

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if i have anymore of those threaded tubes left and see what the thread is. (i had a few made so i could mock stuff up etc)

Yeah mate saw that on one of your old posts, looks awesome mate. Dont know what route to do with mine yet.

Before it was up and over the left side and then down to the front of the radiator.
But was thinking keeping the pipes low down, so the oil doesnt need to pump the oil as high to get to the oil cooler.

stumo

Yeah mate saw that on one of your old posts, looks awesome mate. Dont know what route to do with mine yet.

Before it was up and over the left side and then down to the front of the radiator.
But was thinking keeping the pipes low down, so the oil doesnt need to pump the oil as high to get to the oil cooler.

if you have the pipes going over the top of the alt and P/S belts there's always the chance of them touching........if you go under the manifold and out over the gearbox there's no chance of knackering the belts/pipes and it just looks neater too.

the pipe lengths work out almost exactly the same too.

Yeah thats the way mines is just now.
So thats one of the main reasons for putting the sandwich plate onto the side of oil filter assembly.
So once my engine is back in place i can see how long or short my existing pipes are, and see how am going to route them.
Plus was thinking of scaling down the the return pipe inner core a size to help in keeping the oil pressure up, think good or bad idea?

stumo

I did it to remove the original oil cooler and have never liked the way people have routed the pipes and it enables you to use a large filter too.

Keep the diameter of the pipes large, you'll only cause a restriction, don't forget that the oil goes through the pump then the cooler then to the bearings....

Can see me routing the pipes to the right aswell :D

3/4 UNF is the thread of the tube required. Dropped into the machine shop at my mates garage and boy turned me one out their and then.
Cost me 4 cans of John smiths bitter, but worth it as thats all the niggly bits done on my car, so engine can be fitted now :)

Cheers again stumo .

Tim

Can i ask where you get the top hat for that from and what you do with the water line?

Is it a case of just lopping them?

Thanks

Tim