Number Plate Law

GTI-R Nath

I am looking for a bit more info on number plate sizes on jap import cars, i currently have a 12" x 3" number plate on the front of my car and have had 3 warnings by the police, so am looking for the smallest sized legal number plate..

i have been reading this http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates and have established that the smallest rectangle plate i can have is 410mm x 90mm , but have also noticed it says if the car uses a square number plate you can legally use bike size text and have a 13" x 6" plate

but im still really confused and not really wanting to spend more on another illegal plate

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Why not pick "Standard UK Square"; surely they can't get upset about a plate that is the dimensions for a car originally sold in the UK? - Or is that 11" x 8" too small for you?

Are these just random Police finding an excuse to pull you over, or is this to do with the ANPR camera not reading your plates?

I'd be tempted to stay clear of bike sized text in case the ANPR camera has trouble with it, but that's more about my not wanting to give them an excuse. It's the same thing with my exhaust; keep it quiet so there's no excuse to pull me over.

The other alternative, and I know at least one person who has done this, is to buy the standard sized plate(s) with standard sized text, and trim the edges back on it. - The ANPR camera can still read the text, and unless someone actually takes a tape measure to it, I suspect they won't realise it's not 11" x 2.75" (for example).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Just buy a standard size for a trouble free life!
That's what I was trying to say too. - There isn't really any reason that you need a different sized plate, and the local constabulary can't really argue with a standard plate.

Yes, you might legally be allowed to use a different size. However, if the only reason you're replacing the plates is to get some peace, then it makes sense to give them what they want.

vss irvine

print off the above link and keep it in your glovebox as half the coppers dont actually know the rules.

Fusion Ed

agree, i was pulled by a riot van full of cops years ago because of my plate. I had a letter from the dvla with me, and they just let me go. Talk about over reaction though haha

j0ff

Same discussions on skyline forums, rules are different for imports and cops don't know it (just like MOT emissions rules...)

stumo

Rear plates size is restricted by the number plate surround but there's no restriction on the front so you can't get away with it there.

GTI-R Nath

so pretty much can only use bike size text then if i can prove a normal plate doesn't fit

think ill probably go for a 400 mm x 90 mm since i can fit standard uk letters with correct spacing and its still allot smaller than the UK 520 mm × 111 mm size

skiddusmarkus

I had a copper moaning to me about my rear plate, it was the proper size for the mount but had motorcycle letters.I told him it was fine but he didn't think so.He didn't do anything about it though but to save any future hassle I just got another made with full size letters.It doesn't quite comply with the laws on spacing in that there isn't enough gap between the top of the letters and the edge of the plate but I've never been bothered in arund 10 years with it.
On the front I had a sqaure one made and have it near the brake vents.No reason not to meet the law on the front.

I know some people get really arsey about plates thinking they should be able to have ones that you need binoculars to read as they think they look cool.Well to me it's just asking for trouble and deserve any they get as a result.It's just a red rag to a bored traffic cop who will pull you over and then start looking for other little defects.
If you refuse to change your plate, they can even take your registration from you and force you to reregister the car.Just not worth the hassle.

GTI-R Nath

yeah iv had them speak to me 3 times but none of them gave me any fines i just told them to look on the DVLA site under jap import plates and they left, but im pretty sure that wouldn't work on traffic police lol

MarkTurbo

Not legal .
But I've got one on my bonnet anyway :lol: The standard plate gets in the way of the airflow to my front mount.

I keep the original in the boot just in case..............sorry officer I seem to have forgotten to put it back on ;-)

Mr B

Stick on plates even correct size & letter spacing ect are illegal & have been for a long time.
Incorrect plate sizes, lettering, lack of kite mark & manufacturing outlet name & postcode on plates is also technically an MOT failure but fortunately most testers don't read registration legislation law during there tea-break & concentrate more on real safety areas over minor technical details !
Read the rules & keep a copy in your glove-box if you have plates in the iffy zone of legality as many BIB are not fully up to speed on all the fine points:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2687/contents/made

jamesgtir

But I've got one on my bonnet anyway :lol: The standard plate gets in the way of the airflow to my front mount.

I keep the original in the boot just in case..............sorry officer I seem to have forgotten to put it back on ;-)
same as me mark. touch wood not had any problems