not starting

M

mynheers_a_pint

riiight, parts ordered should be in stock in an hour or 2. In the mean time i'll keep on it...

Or not.

Tomorrow now.

Last edited by a moderator:

stumo

there hasn't been any rattling and all the guides and so forth are new.

The bolt on the rotor was tight however, i have noticed that the dissy and rotor are quite furry. However, i can't see this being an instantaneous issue such as this. The spark seemed bright but perhaps I simply haven't seen enough strong sparks to define a poor spark. eitherway, i think i'll replace them anyway- thinking about it, the dissy and rotor are new to me, but that was possibly 18-24 months ago.

Is there any signs i should look for or any way to test for a dodgy earth?
yeah, poor resistance.

don't bother fitting poor a quality dizzy cap and rotor

M

mynheers_a_pint

ordered some new plugs for the hell of it- £2.05 inc VAT each lol.

Are there any fuses i should check, just in case?

I did jsut re-check the spark and perhaps it is a bit dull so it is possible this is the issue however, i think it may be worth trying a new dissy too.

Anyone got a spare i can borrow for a few days...?

GTIR-LOZ

i have a brand new one and rotor arm, yours for a tenner plus post sounds more like your ignition amplifier is on the way out to be honest if you take the cap off and check for wear on the 4 metal contact points and the one in the center also look at the rotor arm, is it secure and the firing edge clean and smooth not pitted or fallen off

M

mynheers_a_pint

cap and rotor are corroded hence ordering new once.

At the moment i need the car back on the road asap so it depends on postage method/cost- annoyingly I'm going to be visiting Essex next week but i need the car running in order to go..!

GTIR-LOZ

you can rough them up with some wet and dry paper, if they just look corroded should get them working again

M

mynheers_a_pint

there is a spark and fuel but my i can only think that the spark isn't at the correct interval or that it is not strong enough.

i'll have to go out and try and get the rotor off (It wasn't budging earlier) What does the disc actually do?

M

mynheers_a_pint

Errrm. If i were to tell everyone that the pissing thing just started and is now running fine.... what would everyone say?

Cos it is :D

And i have no idea why...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It is the gtir faries have come whilst you weren't looking. At least its working. The disc is slotted and generate the signal in the CAS for the ECU.