noise in engine

I

irishjohn

i just fitted my fmic and got rid of the timing chain noise by fitting a new tensioner but i have a funny sort of jingling noise at about 2000-2500 rpm. as long as your out side this rev range it is gone. happens on decel as well as under power ....any ideas.

I

irishjohn

no i dont think it bearings...oil pressure is a solid 4 bar and no increase in oil temps either..its not a knock sounds like someone rattling some keys...sorta.????? not det as it does it on gentle accel but only in like a 400rpm band.??? im a mechanic but i have never heard a noise like this before.

John

irishjohn said:
no i dont think it bearings...oil pressure is a solid 4 bar and no increase in oil temps either..its not a knock sounds like someone rattling some keys...sorta.????? not det as it does it on gentle accel but only in like a 400rpm band.??? im a mechanic but i have never heard a noise like this before.
My oil pressure was solid when my bottom end went, knocking was at exact same rev range that you've stated tho, if its a rattling tho I doubt its that. Have you had a general look over the engine bay to see if anythings loose?

jjs

my son had the same noise sounded like top end but if you get under the car and use a screwdriver, and put it to your ear you may find the noise is coming from the bottom end, his symptoms were the same as yours, at about 2500 to 3000 rpm, stripped the bottom end and found one of the big end shells broken in three places, fitted new shells and all seems ok, luckily he caught it in time,

I

irishjohn

guess i'll pull her off the road and start my winter rebuild a little early.

Jonesy

jjs said:
my son had the same noise sounded like top end but if you get under the car and use a screwdriver, and put it to your ear you may find the noise is coming from the bottom end, his symptoms were the same as yours, at about 2500 to 3000 rpm, stripped the bottom end and found one of the big end shells broken in three places, fitted new shells and all seems ok, luckily he caught it in time,
Yes that was me, if it is the bottom end hopefully you get away with a set of shells.

gtir_pimp

has this only just happened since fitting the fmic? could be something you left loose. spark plug cover?!

I

irishjohn

i'll put her up on the lift tomorrow and see if a heat shield or something is loose. i'm sure its not the bottom end bearings...anybody cracked ringlands and had a similar noise.

I

irishjohn

pulled the sump off today and checked the mains..all look ok but i cant get the one next to he flywheel out past the crank? ordered new bearing set mains, rods and thrust. i think i'll just pull it now and do the rebuild i was planning for the winter.

Trondelond

John said:
My oil pressure was solid when my bottom end went, knocking was at exact same rev range that you've stated tho, if its a rattling tho I doubt its that. Have you had a general look over the engine bay to see if anythings loose?
Hang on - my knock sensor goes nuts at around 2250 rpms. :| but it's always done that since I fitted the PFC, and taken it to the tracks. Should I be worried?

olliecast

iirc the knock sensor can be triggered by the clearences in the top end being to much, so i`m guessing if the bottom end was knocking bad enough then that could trigger the sensor aswell.