No Power Steering At Startup

geetee

Hey!

When I start the R from cold, I have no power steering for about the 1st 30secs - 1 minute. Then it is fine.

This started happening yesterday.

I've not looked yet but any thoughts?

Low fluid, slipping belt?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

G

GTiRich

Could be ya alternator on its way out. That same thing happened on my astravan just before the alty gave up the ghost

Shaun

:D I've got the same thing on mine,only does it now and then,mainly when the weather is damp :wink: so i think a new belt is in order :D

geetee

That's what I was thinking. I get the very occasional belt squeal on starting when it is cold and damp.

Is it an awkward job?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

MarkTurbo

GTiRich said:
Could be ya alternator on its way out. That same thing happened on my astravan just before the alty gave up the ghost
Dont you mean the powersteering pump :lol:

GeeTee, you said your getting a bit of belt squeal so i'd check the tension of the belt before you do anything else :wink:

geetee

Cheers Mark

I was wondering how the alternator being on the way out would cause my power steering to fail :lol:

Are the alternator and power steering on the same belt?

I'll check the tension on the belt this weekend.

I'm being damn lazy now and not searching before I ask, but what is the spec for play in the belt and on which run?

Can you tell I haven't looked how many belts there are and what they drive ?? :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)