No brakes!

Ive recently finally got some 4 pot brakes on my car, and bled out the brakes today. Whilst ill admit I want to bleed them again when I put my foot on the pedal it hit the floor with very little effect. However I seem to get a reasonable flow when bleeding.

Im assuming its just a master cylinder, where the seals not used to going past half way - or do I need a higher capacity master cylinder to match the calipers?

Thanks in advance

Trondelond

You shouldn't have to install a higher capacity cylinder.

I'd first look at the bleeding-technique, and perhaps throw in a brake fluid with a different colour so that you'll actually SEE when you've changed the fluid. This is assuming you want to change the brake fluid as well as bleed the brakes.

I've been surprised a few times by how much air can still be in the system when you _think_ you've got it all in the first go.

stumo

You should bleed all the brakes, not just the fronts.

you should bleed in the following order...

NSR first
OSR
NSF
OSF last.

you might be right about the seal being knackered...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You might have some air in the system still. Open the bleed valve just enough to let the fluid out when you press the pedal firmly and keep the reservoir topped up.

What 4 pots do you have on? Have you fitted them the right way up (bleed valve at top)? It's been done wrong before.
If they have 4 bleed valves, are you using the top ones?

Do you have abs, as I heard that they should be bled with the engine running. I don't have abs, so don't know for sure.

Cheers for all the thoughts, all very helpful. Ive def put the calipers up the right way, each caliper has 2 bleed valves on each.

I lost pretty much all the fluid as I changed both front lines, but ive not bled the back. Could this be the issue? I have ABS but thought the front and rear circuits were isolated.

Tried bleeding them all no good!

Got another master cylinder from gti-r-us, and I had brakes...

For the 3 miles or so before the top lug mount sheered clean off the wilwood caliper :S

P

pulsarboby

nightmare paul:doh:
at least you know the master cylinder was the culprit to original prob if thats any consolation:roll: