new pistions and rings

R

r5ben

has anyone swoped them for new and is there any uprated ones about ? do you need to do this if ya want to run big boost ? if so where is the best place to get them from ?
is there any info on the site about taking the engine in and out ?? id like to see a blown pic and info on this ?? any help plz ? :)

mattygti-r

big boost? 1bar is fine and will get you 300bhp, no need for forge pistons at that level over 1bar yes forged are prob best

as for pistons go for whichever ones u can afford

:wink:

M

memski

Depends on what your idea of big boost is. IMHO it's rare to find a genuine 300bhp R at only 1bar. 1.2bar is probably closer to the mark, with a fmic 1.4bar can be had with standard pistons as long as the fuelling is mapped accordingly, all imho of course :wink:

R

r5ben

what sourt of price are they ?
when the engine comes out for a rebuild i was going to do them but is 1 ish bar is fine then ill leave them in maybe just swop the rings ??
where can i get new pistion rings from ?//// :roll:

T

Toady

r5ben said:
what sourt of price are they ?
when the engine comes out for a rebuild i was going to do them but is 1 ish bar is fine then ill leave them in maybe just swop the rings ??
where can i get new pistion rings from ?//// :roll:
if your gonna strip it down that far to replace the rings then you might as well save a bit more (as you will be saving a lot more time/money in the long term) and fit forged pistons, then you dont need to worry about it in the future if you wana turn the boost up even more! :wink: but if the fueling is not adjusted then you will still melt your pistons etc if you run it too leanwith too mush boost!but u prob know that neway! :wink: :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
r5ben said:
maybe just swop the rings ??
You'll only get away with that if your engine is in top health (no bore wear)otherwise it's probably a waste of time. The cylinder bore should be honed for new rings and if the engine will be out of the car for this, you may as well get a rebore and fit forged pistons at the same time.