new head bolts??????

gtir_john

hopefully my engine will be back from machinists soon and just startin to gather bits n bobs, the guy i bought it off says re-use head bolts, but would just like a few more opinions, any views on this people. :?

MarkTurbo

They are reusable and i reused mine when i fitted my HKS headgasket but..........they dont cost much so if i was doing it again i'd buy new ones just to be on the safe side :wink:

gtir_john

MarkTurbo said:
They are reusable and i reused mine when i fitted my HKS headgasket but..........they dont cost much so if i was doing it again i'd buy new ones just to be on the safe side :wink:
i did think that i shud get new ones but if i can reuse em all the better as this car is costing me a fookin fortune and it aint seen the road yet, all the joys of ownin one i guess :wink:

gtir_john

er

not sure bought nongen, u never know they could be made from carboard, think il stick with old ones and then eat humble pie when it goes pear shaped

G

gagge

If you are rebuilding your car I reckon its just stupid not getting new bolts... I mean not alot of money for a couple of new bolts mate...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The non genuine ones could be made of cardboard... but they are also used for the Diesel engine that has a CR of 17:1 :shock:

If it works for them it'll work just fine on the gtir with a CR of 8.3:1 even considering a turbo :lol:

If you must use the old ones then get them checked according to the Nissan specs first. Luck doesn't come into it. If they're stretched, bin em, if they're well in spec you can use them. If in the middle you pays your money you takes your chance.

I assume you're replacing the head gasket :?

G

GAZ P

Better off fiting new head bolts, if you intend to run big boost :twisted: like me then I'd recomend looking at uprated ones.I can recomend using a Raceware head stud kit, does away with the head bolts and uses threaded studs wound into the block and re-useable nuts to hold the head down :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Looked into these but in IMO, standard bolts would work well fine for all applications. Whether its a nut or a bolt its torqued the same. The advantage of a stud kit is they don't stretch so can be re-used as many times as you want. Depends how often you're going to take you're head off I suppose.

gtir_john

raceware

i have contacted raceware and am waitin for a reply over the price as they dont list em, think im gonna get a bolt set from BGA like campbellju recommended, like he said if they handle 17.1 comp then they will do for 8.1 :wink:

skiddusmarkus

I spoke to an owner whose head had lifted with standard bolts.
The advantages of studs over bolts have been discussed before-it's to do with the bolt head twisting as it tightens,weakening it or summat,whereas a stud and nut don't as they are seperate and force is spread better.