My painted dash pics

G

GTiRsalter

Just finished painting my dash surround radio/gauge sorround and gear gaitor. :lol:
Not too in yer face colour, just better than the crap vinyl effect.

close up smoothness.

what do you think?

Ian

D

daBOODA

Loz I think that's the point ;)

salter: I assume you applied primer to the bits first to make it all smooth. What type of primer did you use?

G

GTiRsalter

I used plastic primer first, then a couple of layers of high build primer (U-POL HIGH#5).

Sanded it back smooth to get rid of the rippled effect that the standard dash has, then a few layers of ford lavante grey and a cople of layers of lacquer.

Took a couple of days too do,gonna give it a few days to fully cure off before i put it all back in.

Ian

J

J-GTi-R

How do you get the paint to stop cracking when the plastics flex? I did a couple of boor builds and because they used plastic mounts, the paint would just keep cracking on me, as they flexed even once fitted.

Curtis

How did you get the leather gear gator off without snapping the little plastic bit's on the back? When I painted mine I just masked up the leather to save me having to take it off as I kept braking the little plastic bits... :oops:
Looks nice by the way... :wink:

G

GTiRsalter

There should not be much flex in the dash plus the high build primer stays a bit flexable (I sanded it back quite a bit to start with so there arent loads of layers of paint on there anyway)

with the gear gaitor I just snapped the little bits of, got pissed off with it cause i wanted to paint it all, there are still 4 unused ones on there so used them.

Ian

Curtis

You shouldn't have any problem with it cracking, mine has been silver for about 4 years now and it's never cracked. It did bobble up in one part with the heat we had last summer so could do with sorting that out, but not bad lasting.

G

GTiRsalter

hope mine lasts that long.
preperation is the key and i think i did a good job :D

ian