My clutch smells! :(

S

Stoned

Something I've noticed about my clutch is it smells when you are moving the car in small movements, i.e. manouvering into your drive or something

Why do clutches smell :oops:

kyepan

um cause clutches work on friction and that produces heat.. when things generate heat they burn and smell, especially the material in clutches. Clutch friction plates use similar materials to brake pads, and when you get brakes hot enough they really stink. :wink:

do you know what clutch is in there?

A

AJ4

Its not the clutch mate, it smells because you live in Portsmouth ;)

S

Stoned

I live in Purbrook i'll have you know, just far enough away from the stench :lol:

Yeah it's an uprated Exedy one *hides from the abuse soon to be poured on him*

In my defense it was on the car when I bought it, and Abbey motorsport recommended and fitted it and afaik they have a reputation for knowing what they are doing...

kyepan

when your manouvering, how much revs are you using and is the clutch half way or do you take your foot completely off and roll to complete your manouver.

It might just be that your slipping the clutch with too many revs and its gettin hot, simply changing the way you use it for manouvers might solve the problem.

if its not the way your using the clutch, have you noticed any evidence of drag, like the pedal feeling odd and not changing feel cleanly, or judder, or difficulty shifting at any time?

paddle or organic?

S

Stoned

Well in the whole time I have owned the car I have had occasional difficulties changing gear, especially into reverse. But other than that the transmission has been faultless. The bite point is consistantly the same and basically bites very low down so you only have to lift your foot a small amount for the clutch to engage which is how I like it.

I only give it a small amount of revs when it smells because I am literally just reversing up the drive. But I do slip the clutch a little as it's on a slope.

This smell also happens if I launch the car quicker than normal. It's an organic one btw.

It's no biggy, I was just curious why it did it as none of my other cars including a Fiesta RS ever had the same quirk

O

Olly

Its because the Excedy friction material is made out of japan poo. recycled from the floor of the dockyards :lol:

O

Odin

Olly said:
Its because the Excedy friction material is made out of japan poo. recycled from the floor of the dockyards :lol:

LOL :lol: :lol:

Ask Edd he's the expert on excedy clutches :shock: :wink:

rob