More questions! Into the realms of rebuilds....

R

*Red*

Hey all,

Well, the car's finally gone into Olly's :D for the new turbo to be fitted, air filter relocated to lower down in the engine bay behind the bumper, air conditioning unit removed, boost controller fitted, along with a service and a few minor bits looked at such as the aquamist system - there seems to be a problem with the float inside the washer jet bottle.

Once she's picked up from there, Ed @ Fusion is fitting the Greddy e-manage blue and injectors (SARD 700cc) and plug in the Z32 MAF that Olly is going to fit in place ready to be used.

And then she's ready to drive :D and I can't bloody wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The grand plan at the end of everything is to aim for 350/360ish bhp, perhaps even 370, but I don't want to force the car to work to it's utmost limit the entire time. After having a long chat with Olly this weekend when I took the car in, I'm now looking into buying the following bits and wondered if people can offer any advice, recommendations etc?

Pistons I know HKS are a possibility, but I'm wondering if I'm basically paying for the brand rather than the quality? I'm by no means planning on buying the cheapest of everything in order to have her on the road quicker, however like most normal people, money doesn't grow on trees for me and I am reluctant to buy something if there's perhaps an alternative make out there of just as high quality.

Head gasket A friend of mine who owns a sil80 and is fairly knowledgeable around Nissan engines has recommended Greddy.. any thoughts?

Tubular manifold Bit stuck here! Olly knows of somebody who manufacturers stainless steel ones.. but I've heard pro's and con's regarding steel ones vs. others. I'm really wary now of buying a steel one only to have it crack every five minutes. I know it's not a big problem as such, but it is annoying and will bug the crap outta me after the first couple of times! I know extra brackets/welding etc can help prevent this.. but this is way over my head tbh and would really appreciate some help! :( I don't even know if there are alternative options out there for the Pulsar?

Roller bearing-y things for the crank - What's the real name please?! :oops: and manufacturer/supplier would be really handy! :D

Oil pump Am I right in thinking I can get one of these from Nissan as a standard part?

Oil cooler kit (w/ thermostat) Again supplier, recommendations etc please....

For the power I'm aiming for, I'm not going to renew cams yet. That's something I can do as and when I have the fundage as I'm not sure they're a priority for the moment. Also on the list for "some point in the future" is a twin core ali rad.

I'll stop waffling now and wait patiently for useful replies!

Thank you guys :)

Sarah xx

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Hi Sarah,

Pistons
HKS pistons are actually very good. The tops are Nickel Coated which makes them more resistant to heat and DET.

4032 - is a low silicon piston. These are more for street applications. Low silicon pistons expand less and so can run tight clearances as with the likes of HKS. However the 4032 piston can become brittle under extreme stress and crack. If the 4032 starts to crack it continues and causes mass failiure.

2618 - is a zero silicon piston. There are more for higher power/pressure applications. Zero silicon pistons expand more and so require greater piston to wall clearance like the JE and CP for example. This can make them a little more noisy on cold start up. However they will handle greater pressures. In the unlikely case where a 2618 piston were to develop a crack it would lead to a lower point of stress and stop. The piston would still work fine..

Other brands to look at are CP, JE, Mahle, Ross, Arias and Wiseco

Head Gasket
I personally rate the HKS and Cometic Head Gaskets.. I'm not sure GReddy even supply RNN14 GTiR Specific head gaskets anymore..

Tubular Manifold
To be honest, for your power goals you have no need for one. They only way to go with these things is to have one custom made, to then brace the turbo and manifold to prevent the cracking of the manifold. Its the weight of the turbo, bumps in the road when that thin tubular manifold is hot that cause the cracks and stress.. Only change the manifold when you need to. i.e relocating a turbo so that it fits or when going for much much higher power goals. GT3071R and under i would be sticking to the standard manifold.

Roller bearing-y things for the crank
Not sure what you are on about here.. Bearings?? If so then you should use the ACL Race Series Bearings..

Oil Pump
Providing the casing is still ok then just replace the Rotor Assembly inside.. You can actually get a whole new Kit from the US for good money. The standard oil pump kit will be best for you..

Oil Cooler
I use the Mocal Kits.. Works great!

Cams
You can get a Kent Cam Kit for your needs for only £300 - £400.. They will even custom make you a kit if you need.

NOTE
I would also look into using the ARP Head Stud Kit too...

Hope that helps..

Rishi

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Would recommend the radiator is done now ;-)

You are looking at almost double the std power/heat levels with a power level of 370bhp that you are aiming for :thumbsup:

PaulB

Yeah, some good points by rishi there. Heres my tuppenth worth:

Pistons I think Arias and JE from USa are great bits of kit, and the exchange rate makes them a bargain. HKS are great bits of kit, but are pricey, and id say the ones above are right up there.

Head gasket I used a 1.2mm cometic head gasket, does the job, great bit of kit. £50 delivered from the states.

Tubular manifold Like Rishi says, its not worth it unless your just after the look or going for 500bhp. Im running a GT3071 at 1.4bar and I dont think its affecting the power at all, got 387bhp with it.

Roller bearing-y things for the crank If its bearing, i used ACL race bearings. Was £40 for the Main bearings holding the crank down, and £40 for the big ends. (pistons to crank)

Oil pump I got a brand new full kit and cover for £140 delivered from the states, only 40 more than just the gears, that then need fitting, so i just thought sod it and got the full one.

Oil cooler kit (w/ thermostat) Yup, mocal. If you look you can get the cooler and pipes seperatly, Id say £140 would see you sorted.

Hope thats helps you out. As you can tell, I got most of my stuff from the states off www.ebay.com, and I think i saved a few bob. Dont let the "tuners" charge you a fortune for parts. Have a good scout about before you hand over the readys. Ive just done my rebuild myself, so if you need any advice, just gimme a shout !

:thumbsup:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
oap-r said:
Would recommend the radiator is done now ;-)

You are looking at almost double the std power/heat levels with a power level of 370bhp that you are aiming for :thumbsup:

Agreed.. Speak to Absolute Radiator... Take a look at the Twin Core Ali Rad..

Rishi

Animaldaz

RishiGTiR said:
Agreed.. Speak to Absolute Radiator... Take a look at the Twin Core Ali Rad..

Rishi
Olly supplied me with a twin core copper rad which i cant recommend enough, coolant temp barely moves and oil temp has been reduced down to the exchanger working more efficiently, only £160 bargain!:thumbsup:

O

Odin

Animaldaz said:
only £160 bargain!:thumbsup:

Hardly mate :der: , You can buy the same rad from Absolute rads for about a £110 delivered ;-) .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

i can give you a link to cometic h/g which you can get delivered for £65 if needed!
and give you links to other parts which are dirt cheap and good quality.
pm me if needed, (nothing to do with me, i thought i'd add)
good luck with it sarah;-)

R

*Red*

Wow, thanks for your replies :D

I'm probably going to pester you all about pistons some point soon then, because there's so many choices and options :shock: I don't really have a clue where to start looking, or what would be best for the power I'm aiming for, so will leave those until the end of the shopping list...

It definitely was bearings, and it definitely was relating to the Crank.. but that's all I know. I'll pester Olly when I go and collect the car and once I know exactly what part I'm meaning, then I'll ask again! (sorry)

Re: oil pump kits, I don't really know what that includes? PaulB mentioned something about gears?! And Rishi, how will I know if the casing is still okay? To be honest, I don't even know if the car has had a new one before, so for piece of mind now, I'm thinking getting the a whole new pump and be done with it, assuming that would include the Rotor Assembly inside. Doesn't sound like they're mega bucks for the entire kit..

Mocal kits I'm assuming include the cooler and pipes? I think PaulB mentioned getting them separately? My friend Ross suggested the 16 row cooler? I've got the link here, but OMG there's loads of variations! http://www.thinkauto.com/ HELP?!

Oh and as suggested, I am going to get the radiator done now :D
I've got the link to Absolute Radiator http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=89 but am not sure which one I should be looking at? The first one on that page is an aluminium one, however the second one's a twin core? I am confused! Or am I looking at entirely the wrong ones??

And lastly, Rishi, ARP Head Stud Kit.... erm... what, why and where from?!

I'm sorry for the stupid questions :(

Sarah xx

the chief

for 360bhp you need, filter, z32, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, management and a front mount. imho i think everthing else you want is overkill(except the ally rad)

R

*Red*

the chief said:
for 360bhp you need, filter, z32, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, management and a front mount. imho i think everthing else you want is overkill(except the ally rad)
Got all that apart from the rad....!

R

*Red*

Hello,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've just been reading this thread to sort out exactly what my next round of goodies are etc, and

the chief said:
all very well people saying standard engines with the parts above are capable of 330-350 or higher.. but who the bloody hell sets/maps the car to that bhp?! I've spoken to Engine Advantages who won't go anywhere near that figure. Obviously they're covering their asses more than anything, just like most tuners will.. but seriously people, who CAN and is willing to set it to that?!

xx