Mongoose sound levels for those that keep asking

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just tested mine again, it's been on the car a few months now and has quietened down abit.

At idle 70db
At 4500 87db

Taken in my backyard (quite confined) from the drivers seat, with the door open.

G

gotoinstant-redline

are you not meant to do the noise test about 1m form the exhaust outlet? at 50% engine rpm??

L.

J

J-GTi-R

Yep, the revs you need depend on the circuit, but the dB meter is always a meter from the exhaust.

G

GTI-R Kid

You have the Mongoose with the 5" tip dont you Fast Guy?

Does anyone know if there's any difference in noise levels between the 3.5" and the 5" tips?

G

gotoinstant-redline

if its 50% louder than my normal 3.5 then someone is gonna die!!! my 3.5 is very loud.. love it to bits!!

L.

S

srbpower

They do make a nice sound, remember listening to Lee's as he pulled off from mine ages ago :)

Just as a comparison, from what I can remember dans blitz nur spec on the 200 with decats registered 104db at idle :shock: :roll: :twisted:

Si :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yes I have the 5".
Have you ever tried putting one foot one the accelerator and holding a sound meter 1m from the exhaust at the same time? :p
I'm only 5'7 :(

M

memski

GoToInstant-Redline said:
are you not meant to do the noise test about 1m form the exhaust outlet? at 50% engine rpm??

L.
Isn't it usually 3/4 max rpm? 5500rpms in our case?

Where can I go to get mine checked?Would like to see the difference it makes with and without the baffle and whether the likelyhood of getting blackflagged is high :?

J

J-GTi-R

If you can make the trek to one of the Castle Coombe track and show days next year (Japfest, CCC etc), the scrutineers there usually will give you a test if you roll up between track sessions.

G

gotoinstant-redline

you wont get black flagged.. they just plain wont let you on the track if your exhaust is too loud! if you pass the test then you may ride...

but i spose if you did the test with the baffels in then took em out you might get kicked out! not really a good idea to piss them off.

L.

A

Anonymous

well thats not that high, would have to be at least another 5 - 10 db higher then that if you sat the db meter just behind the car. i just fitted highflow cat and it seems to have quitened down a bit not as deep and burbly like the burble it had with the standard cat has now sorta speed up into a constant drone..

MarkTurbo

My mongoose was about 99 db at either 4000 or 4500 rpm (can't remember which :oops: ) when i was at castle combe for japfest.

It'd be interesting to find out how loud they are under full load at 7000 rpm :shock: