misfire and metal bits!

D

damien4uuk

ive just been for a drive, and my r has started to misfire when i put my foot down. I thought it may be the plugs so off came the intercooler. i then noticed inside the top hose from the intercooler there were loads of tiny fragments of metal. I know they shouldnt be there and is this causing it to miss? also what and where did these fragments come from? the plugs were fine as are the leads, dizzy, coil so im fully confused please help. :wink:

D

damien4uuk

Ok i understand that my turbo is about to die, but i dont understand how its causing it to misfire? :cry:

GTIR-LOZ

maybe bits of the compressor wheel in your engine :wink: or maybe due to it not being able to flow the right amount of air to fuel ratio

D

damien4uuk

:cry: does this mean i may need an engine rebuild? if so what would it cost cos im kinda brasic at the mo.

GTIR-LOZ

first of all you need to check the turbo, to make sure it is fooked, then do a compression check on the engine, if this comes up good then the engine is prob ok, and its something else :)

D

damien4uuk

Ive just removed the turbo and cant really see any damage to the blades or the housing, There is a slight bit of play on the blades but not really excessive. so im not sure about the metal fragments. is there anything else that would cause metal to be in the intercooler? also how much would nissan charge to do a compresion test?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
damien4uuk said:
Ive just removed the turbo and cant really see any damage to the blades or the housing, There is a slight bit of play on the blades but not really excessive. so im not sure about the metal fragments. is there anything else that would cause metal to be in the intercooler? also how much would nissan charge to do a compresion test?

Do the compression test yourself... Get a Compression test Kit from Halfords... Not expensive at all... Or any local garage will have the equipment and will probably do it for free... Only takes 2 mins...

Rishi

D

damien4uuk

hi just done compresion test and here are the results, i wasnt too sure how too do it so i just had the car on tickover didnt rev.(i wasnt sure)
cylinder
1= 8.9 bar
2= 8.4 bar
3= 7.9 bar
4= 9.3 bar
could you tell me if this is right or do i need to rev the car when doing it?

GTIR-LOZ

:shock: er no thas not the way to do it, remove plug number 1, then disconnect coil wire from coil as you dont want to kill yourself or start the car :wink: screw in guage i take it it is a mechanical gauge then try to start car, it will just turn over and not fire wait until the needle stops moving then turn off its usually about 10 cranks roughly replace plug and do the next one and so on

GTIR-LOZ

im not too good with bar readings work on psi myself but as long as the numbers are close together then you compression is ok, unless they are all very low or something i think its about 150-155 psi about standard

D

damien4uuk

:lol: :oops: I will give it anougther go tomorow lol i thought i done it wrong, Where would i be with out you lot. :lol:

andygtir

are there no instructions on the tester? mine said to do it on a cold engine with the coil disconnected and accelerator flat to the floor for about 5secs.

just screw it in hand tight :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If your compressor wheel is breaking up, (you won't be able to tell porperly without taking the compressor housing off) the the turbo won't be prodicing the boost it should and the engine will be over fuelling, this can cause a miss fire. Another option is that one of those little bits of metal is sitting in a cylinder and glowing very hot and causing the engine to detonate.
Either way if it is bits of compressor wheel, get a new turbo or that one rebuilt.
Also if your compression results are similar to the ones above, you're looking at a rebuild :cry: (they're low and out of tolerences between cylinders)