Mental ABS

CruiseGTi-R

After hours of fun in the snow on Mon night, wanted to check on ABS.

On snow/ice the ABS makes a very very loud graunching noise, basically the ABS goes nuts.

It’s the loudest ABS system I’ve ever heard, unless its bust.

Clearly on snow/ice there is practically no traction but the ABS goes so mental that it results in absolutely no brake pressure being applied at wheels, so the car just coasts.

My other car’s ABS allow short bursts of lock-up in the snow/ice which is actually better than what the pulsar does.

Am I describing the norm here for a pulsar’s ABS.

If so, can it be removed cos its f*cking terrible.

Johneh

I think you can put an inline fused switch on the abs fuse, thus switching it off for crappy weather. Think a few people have done it, search might show more than I know :D

Gray

My ABS have been removed, must of bin problems in the past, I've heard everyone say its crap.

Johneh

To be perfectly honest a 15 year old system isn't going to be amazing compared to todays modern ECU controlled systems!!

S

Stoned

lol yup it sounds like one of those shredders you put tree stumps into

Plus it doesnt help you stop at all! :lol:

D

DOT2DOT

Will switching it off not keep the abs light on???

Mine is very dangerous. Threw a couple of circles in a carpark the other night and when i straightened her up and went for the brakes, the pedal was rock solid. Would not budge a bit, managed to lift the H brake and avoid all the parked cars but clipped a kerb. Was also pushing the brake pedal so hard that I broke my seat ffs. Crap system!

ram5ay

My abs makes a mental noise like that too, shat it a couple of times last winter due to no brakes whatsoever so just pulled the fuse whenever conditions got bad enough. Brakes then just work like non abs but your light does stay on. Was planning on rigging up a switch to the fuse at some point but not got round to it yet :roll:

J

jpward

DOT2DOT said:

Mine is very dangerous. Threw a couple of circles in a carpark the other night and when i straightened her up and went for the brakes, the pedal was rock solid. Would not budge a bit, managed to lift the H brake and avoid all the parked cars but clipped a kerb. Was also pushing the brake pedal so hard that I broke my seat ffs. Crap system!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Bloody hell mate how many kilo's you squating these days 300? :lol:

mine had that horrible hard pedal problem b4 i changed all the seals and pads not to mention the fluid but i have also had to reach for the handbrake on a few occasions also though ive found if pedal is hard then making the abs cut in improves feel on normal dry road but it does work ok when your braking hard and turning, just cr@p every other time you need it!

PS K i have a spare seat if you need a set of runners

A

AJ4

As far as I know, an MOT requires that the ABS light works if ABS is fitted. Its meant to go on for few seconds when the ignition is switched on and then go out, apparently thats what they check for.

In the old days you used to just pull the fuse on the ABS and remove the bulb from the dash, not supposed to do that now :( I think the only legal way round it is to remove the ABS completely.

Saying that though, I don't think I've ever had an MOT where they bothered to check it ?

CruiseGTi-R

DOT2DOT said:

This is what worries me, the abs is so violent in icy/snowy conditions that it doesn't give the brakes any power at all.

Get more braking power winding the windows down and flapping your arms around to increase air resistance :D