Melted Iridium plugs

L

Lantz

For a couple of weeks ago I was doing a couple of drags down a stright at home. On the second one my car started to "burp" at high throttle, and like above 3000 rpm.
It staid that way, and sometimes it worked fine for a little full throttle. The car hasen't been in much use, but I just drove it in to the garage, seemed to run fine on idle and everything. Then I pull out my plugs, and two of them looks like THIS!?!?!?!?!
Why? What have happend? knocking? or jusst overheating?
the left one has only a loose "cap" around the electrode. The other one looks either melted or cracked. The capon this one seems broken of futher down in the plug.
If I Look down on the pistons with a flashlight they look ok straight above the plug at least.
What should I do? Just replace the plugs? Do you think there is debrees down in the cylinder? After all it has run "fine" in like, 100km.

Need answers fast, since i'm moving on friday.

God, No attachments allowed... hold on...

here is a link. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AND HELP ME OUT!

http://www.storedyret.com/cgi/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=28812;r=1;&

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Chances are you've been detting. You need to get pretty hot to do that, you need to make sure it isn't running lean or it will just do it again.
You realy need to have a good look in the cylinders for damage. You may be lucky or you may not.:?

L

Lantz

How can i look GOOD without taking of the head?

all the plugs are tan also, but it was probably around or above 30 degrees that day when i come to think about it. Probably not a good Idea to go blasting down the straight.... :p

I'll probably get some "cheap" replacement plugs for now until i get hold of some new Iridium ones.

Does every IK22 fit? or are there different taps? Have seen advertised, and it didn't say what make to go with.
Do I also have to change all 4? they have done less than 10k km.

thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You need an endoscope or boroscope to have a good look in the cylinders.

I don't know if all IK22s are the same.

What power are you running? you may need to go IK24.

Shaun

Hi mate,what boost pressure are you running?IK22's are the same as standard heat range 7,as FastGuy say's you may need a heatrange colder IK24-heat range 8.

bopper

my boost gauge wasn't working properly when i ran at santa pod bout 3months ago, turns out i was running 22psi rather than 18psi, i melted all four spark plugs. but i must of been very lucky as there hasnt been any damage to the engine four new plugs and the cars fine i did a few run last week end at the pod no problems a tall

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You should be running IK24 or IK 27 mate...

IK22 won't last long above standard boost... Even on standard boost i wouldn't be using IK22's...

What boost are you running...?

Rishi

L

Lantz

Hi. I'm currently running 1kg. I'm planning to Run 1,1kg when I get this and the safc sorted out.
I also noticed that my AVC-R had spiked to 1,5 on that or the previous drag. That combined with the 30+ ambience temp probably killed my plugs. I fitted some cheap ass 2£ plugs yesterday until i get some new ones. The car so far seems to work fine.

So back to the heat range. Should I go for IK24? The temperature is VERY rarely at this here in Norway, also remember that i drive during winter in -20 degrees too!

How can I know what taper size plugs I need when ordering?
Do You know wich cars that uses the same size?

F

Fusion Ed

Ouch nasty pic. FYI Damage will occour around the ring land areas. Last time I saw plugs that melted the piston had gone the same way..

Ed

L

Lantz

I ordered a set of IK24's. Hope that will do.
As far from the damage. Don't you think I should have noticed if anything else than the plug got damaged? The car runs fine now. I havnet tried to floor the pedal yet, but still...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well the tip of the plug would have blown through the turbo which spins at speeds of 100,000rpm so you could have damaged the turbo...

Look for smoke or funny noises...

Rishi

gtirx2

yer i agree with fusion ed you have proberly melted the top of a piston.The car may still seem to run fine but you probely are getting loads of blow by and the car will feel rough and be low on compression on 1 or more cylinders.Your best bet is to do a compression check and see what thats like first and if thats alright get new plugs and the fueling checked.