Mega squirt ecu

gazgtir

My brother (a mechanic) and he his friend (also a mechanic) keep telling me I should run mega squirt ecu in the R, my brothers friend is using mega squirt in his kit car he built and his mx5 turbo that he build using the same ecu on both cars just swaps it over depending on which car he wants to drive,
Has anyone had any experience using a mega squirt on a gtir? Thanks Gaz

warpspeed

iirc the crank signal might be a problem, might have to fit a trigger disc and crank sensor on crank pulley....

vpulsar

I don't see the point when you can get it nistuned, You'll not only have trouble with the crank signal but also cold start.

Rob

It all depends on what you want from your car.
Megasquirt is a good ecu,started as a simple DIY ecu yeats back and has undergone a lot of development.
I doubt you will be able to use the std CAS.Most aftermarket ecuss have problems.
You will have to use a different cas disc from AEM,
Or convert to crank trigger wheel and sensor, and cam sensor if you want to run coil on plugs and fully sequential ignition/injection.
So if your aim is a 500bhp car yes it could be good,otherwise Nistune all day long.
Simpler to use,works well.

vpulsar

Shouldn't have any cold start issues as megasquirt has cold start maps/compensation

So did my motec but it took many sessions on the dyno to get the cold start right which probably cost me nearly a £1000, So was it worth it ?. I think not i wouldn't go down that road again.

Rob

warpspeed

Should really need to use a dyno to get the cold start map right, when I converted a 5gt turbo to lpg sequential injection using a megasquirt I never used my rolling road once for setting up the cold start

vpulsar

Should really need to use a dyno to get the cold start map right, when I converted a 5gt turbo to lpg sequential injection using a megasquirt I never used my rolling road once for setting up the cold start

No matter what was tried it took many attempts to get it as good as I wanted, It was pretty much perfect when it was first fitted by power station, But as I modded it for more and more power the mappers where struggling to get it right, Probably just down to the scottish mappers not being good enough I don't know, All I know is it cost me a lot of money in the end to get it to an exceptable level.

Rob

vss irvine

fuck you ya english twat,

probably just saw a fat english cash bag and thought ill help empty his pockets save him eating it anyway.

vpulsar

fuck you ya english twat,

probably just saw a fat english cash bag and thought ill help empty his pockets save him eating it anyway.

See there you go again lol, I wasn't putting down the Scottish I was just saying it was being done in Scotland at the time. I'm sure their are plenty of equally incompetent English mappers as well just look at DP hahaha