M.O.T brake tester

O

Odin

I'v heard that the brake tester they use for the m.o.t can damage the transfer box is this true?.

As I'v just had it rebuilt i don't wont anything going wrong with it now :cry: .

So can someone who knows for sure post some info up, so that I can print it off to show the know it all burk :roll: thats going to be doing the test on monday. :wink:

thanks rob

Moved to regular maintenance/servicing

S

stomski

if he knows what hes doing he shouldnt need showing a piece of paper about it :wink:

if i was the tester and you thought u knew better than me, i'd tell you to fck off somewhere else and dont insult my intelligence and shove that bit of paper explaining about the transfer box up where the sun dont shine :wink: :lol: :lol:

seriously, if hes a good mechanic, he would know mate!! :wink:

O

Odin

I didn't give it a thought last time as I watched them put it on them rollers :( , It wasn't till I was speaking to skiddus that I had ever thought about the fact that they where turning the front wheels with the backs not moveing :oops: .

rob

S

stomski

umm :?

mine was picked up this morning for its MOT, so i'll ask my mechanic when he gets back mate, then i'll post up his thoughts on it! :wink:

Nad

For 4WD cars it has to be done on the road. They put a little boxy instrument in the passenger footwell and test it like that. Easier to pass than the usual method according to a mate of mine that MOT's cars. Discussed this 2 1/2 yrs ago when mine was due, just obviously never actually got done :cry:

Nad

Keira

they should test 4 wheel drive on the road unless they have the facilities to allow all 4 wheels to turn

OZ-Racing

Yeah, they tested mine on the road with one of those box thingys in the car, 65% efficiency :oops: , but it still passed :lol:

kyepan

ditto, they tested mine on the road, cant remember the box thingy, bloke came back grinning though..

S

stomski

yep, cars just been brought back to me, passed MOT, emissions were just about right and the car was road tested for the brakes-the guy had a massive grin on his face when he dropped it off and said it was fast, but not as responsive as his evo :lol: :roll:

J

Jon

mines just been mot'd & they used the rollers? :shock:
does that mean i could have a possibly fooked transfer box
bloody bollox hope they aint fooked it :?

antgtir

JON: I would say yes to that mate, you will have worn it much more at least :(

You should never put a 4x4 car on a 2 wheel drive car roller setup, they should have an instrument thats sits in the passenger side footwell and road tested so that when the car breaks the force pushing forward is measured and convereted to give a percentage efficiency.

Never let anyone test the car on a 2 wheel drive roller setup!!!!!!

If it was me id be pretty upset that the mechanic was coming back with a smile on his face saying its not as fast as his Evo, wtf has he been doing it, thats defo not part of the mot test :evil: nope if that was me id be going ape im afraid.

Im lucky i get to participate in my mot as i used to work for this particular garage, that way things can be sorted straight away if necessary :D

Ant.

S

stomski

fair point, although if he broke it, he bought it :lol:

i trust him not to go silly, and ive known him for a while. doesnt bother me :wink:

C

clive760

brakes

stomski said:
fair point, although if he broke it, he bought it :lol:

i trust him not to go silly, and ive known him for a while. doesnt bother me :wink:
brake testing whats that my local nissan garage dont bother testing brakes they just look & say SHIT u got som nice brakes ,thats the way it should be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Last year the mot guy said to me "your brakes are ok aren't they" and I said yes. That was it.

This year it was another guy and he put it on the rollers :( I wasn't happy and explained why and he said that it's ok if you're careful. I did point out that if he broke it the garage would be liable. Anyway, everything seems ok so far. I'll have to launch it and see if it still goes like sh1t off a shovel :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
vpulsar said:
I didn't give it a thought last time as I watched them put it on them rollers :( , It wasn't till I was speaking to skiddus that I had ever thought about the fact that they where turning the front wheels with the backs not moveing :oops: .

rob
:shock: :shock: i never even thought of that :shock: :shock:

the bastards :x

N

Ninja_tune_factory

not all 4wd need to be done on the road ,as when i did my mot at work we put it on the brake tester and there was not problems with it at all.

gtirpulsar

I usually give mine to my mechanic to do for me during the day.
I usually remind him not to let them put it on the brake tester, but forgot this time - so did he. So it was tested on the rollers.
I was really paranoid about any new noises for a while. But 5 months and maybe 3k miles later nothing is noticeably wrong.